Can I All Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I have done 4 or 5 extracts and I am looking to see if I can move to all grain. I just purchased a new 10 gallon kettle and a propane burner. I have seen a few different methods for all grain, my major concern is can I do it in just my one pot using my new setup? Also I usually brew with kits from AHB so I am not sure how I would have to adjust the amount of hops I add...

one pot is kind of impossible if you ask me...maybe Brew in a bag with mashout as your sparge if you do it real thin...

but you're lookin at 50% efficiency that way...

if you could get a second pot, it would definitely be doable and only cost like 40 bucks

Even a second smaller pot would work. Definitely check out the mash in a bag threads, as well as the easy partial mash thread, that one's a sticky somewhere. Cooler's are really easy to convert to MLTs, too. A good thermometer is essential, also.

Don't let all the technical stuff scare you away from all grain, it's really easy to do. It does take a good chunk of time longer, though.

If the 10gal pot is new, that means you have a 5gal pot kicking around from your extract brewing. So, that gives you what you need for brew in a bag. But, I'd also recommend getting a cooler and converting it to an MLT - they hold temp much better making the 60min mash much less stressful.

You can easily do a no-sparge brew-in-a-bag for a 5 gallon batch in that kettle. I'd recommend converting a cooler with a stainless braid though because that's just how I roll.

Is brew in a bag similiar to doing a mini mash? You can see I am a little confused.

If the grains for the mini mash were in a bag, then yes. As long as you're talking about a mini mash and not just steeping grains, but the procedure is still pretty much the same for steeping grains.

Read this Brew-in-a-Bag resource site: http://www.biabrewer.info/BIAB_Guides.html

It will tell you all you need to know to do this. I have achieved between 60-75% in the past using a similar method (extending my boil from 60-90 next brew per the directions). When my % is lower I just toss in some DME at flameout.

Basically, you need 10 gallon pot (oxidized if aluminum), thermometer, old blankets, a big mash spoon, a nylon bag (bigger the better), a false bottom (so the bag doesn't melt or burn) and your ingredients. You can wrap the pot with some heavy blankets during the mash. The more blankets the better it holds temp. I've help temp for an hour with blankets wrapped around.

Back