Can anyone recommend a good string trimmer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have light trimming to do so picked up a combo on sale a few years ago at home depot.
4p.jpg

Well folks, based on your recommendations, I purchased the Echo SRM-225 from my local Home Depot. I really appreciated the time y'all took to help me with this issue. In particular, I liked the detailed info provided by illinoisbrassman :mug: I used the Echo today for the first time and it worked as advertised -- only had to bump feed once to finish my whole lawn -- yippie! Just as a matter of record, I will update this thread if I find any issues while using the trimmer. Thanks again!

Well, my echo srm-225 has run fine for the 4 years since I first opened this thread. This summer, it began stalling every time I tried to pull the throttle. It was due for it's yearly maintenance anyway so I bought a complete kit that included the spark plug, filter as well as a new carburetor with fuel lines. Very easy replacement job, maybe 30 minutes to do it all. Well, sumabitch, it still stalls when I apply the throttle. I have adjusted the fuel screw and it seems to idle just fine. Before I take it to a repair service, does anyone have any other things I can try?

Thanks,
Steve

Well, my echo srm-225 has run fine for the 4 years since I first opened this thread. This summer, it began stalling every time I tried to pull the throttle. It was due for it's yearly maintenance anyway so I bought a complete kit that included the spark plug, filter as well as a new carburetor with fuel lines. Very easy replacement job, maybe 30 minutes to do it all. Well, sumabitch, it still stalls when I apply the throttle. I have adjusted the fuel screw and it seems to idle just fine. Before I take it to a repair service, does anyone have any other things I can try?

Thanks,
Steve

Replacing the carb was a good idea. They don't come ready to roll, some adjustment needed. When doing that, you need to set the idle screw (you did that), the the L and H on the carb. Hopefully those don't require a special tool (echo OEM carbs require this whacky spline socket that I guarantee is not in your toolbox).

It sure sounds like a simple High carb adjustment to me. Sounds like the carb is getting flooded when you hit the throttle.

Replacing the carb was a good idea. They don't come ready to roll, some adjustment needed. When doing that, you need to set the idle screw (you did that), the the L and H on the carb. Hopefully those don't require a special tool (echo OEM carbs require this whacky spline socket that I guarantee is not in your toolbox).

It sure sounds like a simple High carb adjustment to me. Sounds like the carb is getting flooded when you hit the throttle.
Thanks, Mr. Pawn! I'll have look for that tool.

[...]Before I take it to a repair service, does anyone have any other things I can try?

fwiw, I had similar behavior that pretty much came out of nowhere which I eventually discovered was due to a big open crack in the flexible fuel line inside the tank that terminates in the "clunk" (that is supposed to always find the lowest spot in the tank regardless of orientation). A buck's worth of fuel line and that same Husky trimmer has been working strong for a couple of years now...

Cheers!

fwiw, I had similar behavior that pretty much came out of nowhere which I eventually discovered was due to a big open crack in the flexible fuel line inside the tank that terminates in the "clunk" (that is supposed to always find the lowest spot in the tank regardless of orientation). A buck's worth of fuel line and that same Husky trimmer has been working strong for a couple of years now...

Cheers!

Usually, carb kits come with the tubing, fuel filter, etc. He bought the kit, likely he replaced that fuel line.

Gotta like Husqvarna. They also make really good motorcycles, sewing machines and shotguns.

Well, my echo srm-225 has run fine for the 4 years since I first opened this thread. This summer, it began stalling every time I tried to pull the throttle. ....
Try cleaning the spark arrester. It is the screen on the muffler outlet, they often clog with soot.

I have the echo. I treat it like crap. Never empty the fuel or use sta-bil and yet the damn thing has run like a champ for going on 8 yrs.
My mantis tiller on the other hand (which apparently has a similar carb) needed a replacement carb within 2-3 years after being treated similarly. Same problem OP had.
Not real helpful I know. Just sharing.

Latest posts

Back