Can anyone recommend a good string trimmer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Summer is already here in SoFla and I need to replace my string trimmer (mainly cuz the last one was so crappy that I took a hammer to it). Can anyone recommend a reliable trimmer, please? You know, one that I won't want to destroy with a hammer (f'ing Black and Decker piece of ****e).

Thanks,
Steve

Central Fl here. I only have light trimming to do so picked up a combo on sale a few years ago at home depot. Got the Battery powered Ryobi Blower & Trimmer together for around $100. Came with 18v lithium battery and charger. A full charge on the battery is more than enough to do all my trimming and clean up after with the blower.

i got a Echo 280 with change able heads. It was costly, but well worth it.

Shindawa and Echo combined and last year they came out with a model that was supposed to be more designed for the home use. But it ended up being such a good trimmer and cheaper than the heavy duty ones that landscapers are buying them up. I bought one last year and love it.
It uses the echo motor with the shindawa shaft which I prefer over the echo. The echo is a flex shaft and the shindawa is rigid. It's the T235.
I used to use trimmers all the time and always used either echo or shindawa. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I prefers the shindawa.

Shindawa and Echo combined and last year they came out with a model that was supposed to be more designed for the home use. But it ended up being such a good trimmer and cheaper than the heavy duty ones that landscapers are buying them up. I bought one last year and love it.
It uses the echo motor with the shindawa shaft which I prefer over the echo. The echo is a flex shaft and the shindawa is rigid. It's the T235.
I used to use trimmers all the time and always used either echo or shindawa. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I prefers the shindawa.

dobes -- Do you like the Speed-Feed trimmer head on the Shindaiwa? Looks pretty cool on the Youtube videos that I have watched. How long does the line last for?

The one I bought last year was the first speed feed head I used. I don't mind it, it's easy to use just took some time getting used to. Don't know exactly but it holds a similar amount of string compared to the traditional heads.
Not sure if it's luck or design but with the speed feed I never had the line get tangled inside like could happen with the traditional head.

I have an Echo SRM-225 that I've used for 2 seasons in my lawn business. Great unit for a great price. The speed feed head takes a little time to get used to but works great with the right line.

My last strimmer was a Troy Bilt. Lasted about a year and crapped out on me. First the spin got real weak and then it stopped running at all.

I replaced it with a Husqvarna straight shaft, and it's been going strong for a little over a year now. Seems to be a lot more solidly built. I'm happy with the purchase for now.

My Troy Bilt mower just crapped out on me as well after about 2 years of service, guess what I won't be replacing it with?

+3 on the Echo straight shaft. I did quite a bit of looking into trimmers when I bought my house and these were the best rated for reliability, and mine hasn't disappointed.

I love my Echo straight shaft....

Trimmer. I only bought last summer and only used a couple of times, but it rocks. Probably one of the best home models I've seen.

So based on the feedback, I'm thinking about the Echo SRM-225, which Home Depot is selling for $200. So I have some fuel questions. Do you use a fuel stabilizer to treat the ethanol in gas? Is using something like Trufuel 50 a good idea? Also, do you drain the leftover fuel between uses? Thanks!

I just by Echo brand premixed fuel sold in cans at Home Depot. I know it is expensive ($7/32 oz), but I have a smaller yard and maybe burn through 3 cans a year.

No need to drain during months it sees regular use.

I just by Echo brand premixed fuel sold in cans at Home Depot. I know it is expensive ($7/32 oz), but I have a smaller yard and maybe burn through 3 cans a year.

No need to drain during months it sees regular use.

Yes, and it's only good for two years once you open it, so I'll probably just use up what I bought. It might last me a whole year, maybe more depending on how lazy I am.

So based on the feedback, I'm thinking about the Echo SRM-225, which Home Depot is selling for $200. So I have some fuel questions. Do you use a fuel stabilizer to treat the ethanol in gas? Is using something like Trufuel 50 a good idea? Also, do you drain the leftover fuel between uses? Thanks!

I'd get online and look for a gas station that sells recreational vehicle fuel.

Apparently Echo can void the warranty if they find signs of seals being eaten by ethanol.

Trufuel 50 is the same thing, just not the Echo brand. It's like Ethanol-free fuel with stabilizer in it, so it should be fine, just more expensive than ethanol-free if you don't need the stabilizer (Which is recommended for storage)

The HD by me has Ryobi 2 cycle trimmers on clearance for $33! I guess they're changing the color or something. Think I heard Milwaukee bought them out. Dunno for sure.

Either way, I'm gonna beat this thing to death for $33!!!

20150403_085333.jpg

The HD by me has Ryobi 2 cycle trimmers on clearance for $33! I guess they're changing the color or something. Think I heard Milwaukee bought them out. Dunno for sure.

Dang! For that price you could build some custom mods for it, like turning it into an aeration device, or a gas-powered baby slapper or something.

If you have a small to medium/large yard I'd go with a Poulan.
Echo and Stihl are better yet but unless you are doing a lot of trimming you will spend more than you have to. If you are doing it commercially by all means buy an Echo or Stihl!
I have a small yard and have a Poulan, I use the Poulan synthetic oil mixed with regular ethanol containing (10%) gasoline and have just put it away each autumn with out any special care. In the spring it might be a little hesitant to start up but after that first time each year it starts right up the rest of the spring and summer.
At work the grounds keeping crew use Echos and Stihls and they are fine units.

I had a Poulan pro and it was junk. Didn't work out of the box, had to get it serviced right away for it to start (under warranty). Then after three seasons the main bearings burnt out.

Husqvarna or Stihl, gas powered, straight shaft. Both extremely dependable. I used to work for a yard maintenance company and we would put those trimmers through a lot, but they keep on kicking.

+1 on the Husqvarna. Mine has the ability to accept other attachments (pole saw, edger, tiller, etc...) and runs like a beast.

The HD by me has Ryobi 2 cycle trimmers on clearance for $33! I guess they're changing the color or something. Think I heard Milwaukee bought them out. Dunno for I .

I had one of those - they are crap, too.

I had a Poulan pro and it was junk. Didn't work out of the box, had to get it serviced right away for it to start (under warranty). Then after three seasons the main bearings burnt out.

I bought a Poulan Pro used for $75 years ago. It ran fine for several years until the fuel line needed replacing. The next year it started to run funny again and I got tired of messing with it. I limped along with that and a yard sale trimmer until last year when I bought a new Echo.

I used the hell out of that thing when I had it! Still, I didn't choose to buy another when I bought new. Too many people recommending Echo and Husqvarna.

I bought a Shindiawa T254 two years ago... the four stroke engine took a little getting used to, but it is a beast. It is my second Shindiawa... the first left me in a divorce after 10 years and was still running strong. NO ETHANOL... EVER!!!

Echo. Stihl are a nightmare to work on if you ever need anything done.

Take a look around your area at the local lawn services, Here at least most use Echo exclusivly, they use them every day and they last for years. It should be no problem for a homeowner. Just remember to drain gas if you are going to store it for a time. The Ethanol in the gas is what really messes them up.

Opinions are like a**holes...

That said, Stihl all the way. I have 2 Stihl chainsaws, A trimmer/brushcutter, and a big leaf blower. Reliable, tough and start every time. We have 4 Stihl saws at work, 2 of them date back to the late 80's. They only sell through Stihl dealers-unlike Huqvarna who sells through big box stores as well as Husky dealers. Don't buy a trimmer at Lowes or Home Depot. Go to a dealer.

Around here, the pros mostly use Stihl. But I don't. I run Husqvarna.

Here are my views:

Echo: I had an echo edger for 10 years, replaced the carburetor once (****ty alcohol fuel, and the head got floppy and would not hold in place anymore. Unrepairable. The string trimmer I had worked fine, but I had to change the carburetor on that one as well.

Poulan: Waste of time and money.

Homelite: Cheap junk. If they're still around. Had a string trimmer and a leaf blower. Both broke within 2-3 years.

WeedEater: More cheap junk. 2 seasons out a blower.

Husqvarna: Been very pleased with my blower, edger, and string trimmer. Considering replacing my pole chain saw with a Husq too, and possibly my mower too. If you get a Husq string trimmer, get the straight boom and NOT the one with a detachable head. If you get the detachable one, the head unit will have a clutch find I find intolerable for a string trimmer.

Toro: I've only owned a mower from them, so far. Underpowered, fickle.

Honda: Mower lasted 10 years, motor seized, not sure why. Yes, it had plenty of oil.

Most of all: Use NON-ETHANOL gas. I get it at the pump (at a premium price of course). At the end of the season, all unused gas gets poured into my Jeep, and I start fresh in the spring.

MC

I worked in a mower shop for 2 years, the number one problem that we saw was old/bad gas in carburetors.

On the fuel front check your area to see if anyone sells gas without ethanol. Here it runs a little more than premium. If you can get it use that for all your small engine needs.

Regardless of using unethanoled or stabilized fuel. If you are going to use your trimmer/mower weekly you can get by with leaving the fuel in the tank. If you are not going to use it for a month, then drain the fuel out, or best bet is run it out of fuel. On you trimmer once it has run dry, then be sure to pump the bulb a few times to blow any residual out of the carb. Be absolutely sure to drain well at the end of the year.

If you are not opposed to a electric, Core trimmers are really good. They are about $100 more than a Echo, but there is no fuel to burn so you will make up the cost on the back end. These have a ton of Torque, and can go quite a while on a charge. These are not your black and decker/toro rechargeable. The shaft and lower end was designed by Echo. The Battery is in the top end and a Circuit board motor is in the lower. We never had a unhappy customer at the shop I worked at who purchased a Core trimmer people actually raved about how happy they were with them.

As far as brands to buy. Both Echo and Sthil are good brands. From a mechanic perspective a Echo is generally quicker and easier to work on, as the Carb is accessible without removing a bunch of covers. I also found Stihl more difficult to work on, as they tend to be a bit over designed.

IMO spend the extra few bucks for a straight shaft, your lower back will thank you. Try one out in the store, the curved shaft you seem to bend over a good bit more to use it, and the straight shaft gets under things much better.

For me I would talk to local lawn mowing services, see which brands they use, and how the service is. In my area most pros use Echo, In other areas its Sthil, For a pro it probably comes down to Service from the shop as they are much harder on equipment. Hopefully you wont ever need service, but in case you do you want to be going to the best place.

Back