Can anyone put a name to this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
Included in a recent order from my LHBS was a pack of Wyeast 1318. They notified me by email that they were out of stock and asked if I minded if they substituted a similar yeast. I OKed the replacement but didn't note the replacement or change the recipe and they didn't make a change on the invoice, so don't know which Wyeast product it is.

I generally overbuild my starters by about 100B cells for future use. As I was entering the packaging date of the yeast in the pitching rate calculator I found the yeast pack to be over 5 months old, so decided to just do a 250B cell starter and split it into 4 vials, which I did.

I have brewed 3 beers with starters from these vials and all 3 beers had the same problem. The yeast floculated well, but didn't settle out. Instead it formed a layer of particles about the size of bread crumbs. After 3 weeks, I finally got it to settle out by cooling down to 50 degrees F and agitating a few times a day. When I agitated particles looked to be settling well, but many of them returned to the top within a few minutes. These beers were fermented at 67F +/_2 degrees.

The starters all looked normal for floculant yeast starters. They were all refrigerated after 24 hours and settled well. The beers were all kegged and conditioned for a couple of weeks. I'm drinking one now that exhibits no off flavors at all 3 weeks in the keg.

Has anyone had a similar experience with an English Ale yeast? Is this characteristic to a particular strain?

There are a handful of possible strains but given the problematic clearing I'm guessing they gave you 1028 London Ale as it has the lowest flocculation of the bunch.

fwiw, generally if the yeast keep rising I assume they're still working...

Cheers!

There are a handful of possible strains but given the problematic clearing I'm guessing they gave you 1028 London Ale as it has the lowest flocculation of the bunch.

fwiw, generally if the yeast keep rising I assume they're still working...

Cheers!

That was my thought at first too, but with an OG of 1.063 and FG stable at 1.014 for several days I doubt it. I have used 1028 many times and never seen this.

Thanks for the response.

Back