Can anybody recommend a keg system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So I've had enough of bottling. It's what almost drove me away from the hobby. I finally brewed again with the intention of kegging, but I can't decide on the best system to buy. I'm looking at a 5g system with a picnic faucet to keep on a full size refrigerator. I've looked at NB, morebeer, Austin Homebrew and Midwest and can't decide who has the best bang for the buck and the highest quality in terms of regulator. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best bang for the buck:
20lb used C02 tank (look on craigs list or local wielding supply shop), 2-6 reconditioned ball lock kegs (look for deals, sometimes can find them $25 each when bought in multiples), Intertap flow control SS faucets and shafts, tap-right dual body regulator, gas splitter (for multiple kegs on tap), beverage & gas tubing, 1/4" Female Flares, keg lube, faucet wrench, and keg quick disconnects.

Hit up keg connection and ritebrew, ask questions they will help. No you don't want the picnic faucet.

Don't forget to also check AIH and RiteBrew. AIH and AustinHB sell loose and 4 packs of new kegs (also used ones) for a fairly decent price. There are others doing similar things.

Most use the Taprite regulators with the large red knob(s).

To see who gives you the best bang for the buck, stick some of the prices in a spreadsheet, see how they add up. Include shipping charges into the totals. If you have to order from more than one place or use multiple shipments, extra shipping charges can wipe out differences quickly.

The tank is a fairly large $$ purchase and unless you can get it filled locally, you'll end swapping your brand new tank for a used one that won't look half as good. So check around. Check Craigslist for a used tank, perhaps with regulator.

Read around here on kegging and what people use.

You'll need a temp controller for your serving fridge. Get an Inkbird 106 or 108, not an analog one.

I put my kegging system together hodge podge style but a friend in my homebrew club bought a morebeer draft system to do just what you planned and he loves it. I don't know if he got the ball or pin lock but he's frugal so I would educated guess he got the cheaper pin lock keg.

I think his plan is eventually to add one or two permanent taps to the door of the fridge but he's happy now with the picnic.

I've seen some decent pricing for keg equipment systems at kegconnection.com. I picked up a pin-lock keg system and 2 extra kegs for just around $200 last black friday.

Before you buy a brand new CO2 tank, I would double check that there is a place nearby that is willing to refill them for a reasonable price, reasonable time. Some places will only do exchanges. Scott-Gross around me charges ~$40 and takes 2 mo. to fill a tank. I was luck to find out that Koorsen Fire Extinguisher also does beverage gas and will fill my tank in 15 min for $12.

I'd be leary of buying "systems," they tend to be heavily compromised. I like buying exactly what I want, after doing extensive research of course.

For one, every tapping "system" I've seen offered uses beer lines that are way too short and often inferior, causing foaming and carbonation loss and plastic flavors.
As a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 ft of 3/16" (ID) line per psi of serving pressure. Sometimes more. Common serving pressure is 12-15 psi at 50F, so that means you need 12-15' lines.

You can use picnic taps in a pinch, but they're not ideal.

Also many "systems" are sold with cheap ass brass faucets. Not recommended for serving at home. You'll want Stainless, and possibly with flow control so you can use somewhat shorter lines (about half that length).

So I've had enough of bottling. It's what almost drove me away from the hobby. I finally brewed again with the intention of kegging, but I can't decide on the best system to buy. I'm looking at a 5g system with a picnic faucet to keep on a full size refrigerator. I've looked at NB, morebeer, Austin Homebrew and Midwest and can't decide who has the best bang for the buck and the highest quality in terms of regulator. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I would recommend this one with the Taprite regulator upgrade from Birdman Brewing. http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-standard-homebrew/

How are you chilling your kegs? are you putting them in a chest freezer? refrigerator? something else? How many kegs do you want serving at once?

I made my keezer from a chest freezer when I decided to upgrade to a larger fermentation chamber that could ferment 2 buckets at a time. It is 5 cf and holds 3 kegs. 2 serving and one conditioning. Got a dual pressure regulator so I *could* condition at a higher pressure if I choose. Put on a 2x6 collar with adhesive sealant so I can make all the penetrations through the wood and *could* return the chest freezer to its original state if I choose.

One thing I wish I had considered further is being able to remove any one keg without disturbing the others. I am basically stuck removing them all to get the 2 lower kegs out, due to the overlap of the regulator above one keg, and the shanks sticking between the other 2. It takes a couple days for the trub to settle down once you have disturbed a keg.

Kegerator - You mentioned a full-sized fridge. That's easy to convert. I've done it. Just drill through the door. 99% positive there are no cooling pipes within the door (depending on the brand).

Taps - Amazon. Chrome plated brass or stainless. One is more expensive.

CO2 tank - I found 20lb tank on Craigslist for supper cheap. $30-ish. Out of date though. I just took it to an industrial gas refill shop. They exchanged out the tank for a brand spanking new tank filled with CO2. Just like a propane exchange. The exchange price was about $20. For that I got a brand new CO2 tank filled with gas. Good grade gas if that wasn't clear.

Kegs - Corny kegs. Depending on where you get them, they can be cheap or expensive. I have 3 ball locks (1 for $40 and 2 for free). And 2 pin locks ($30 for the pair).
- The hardest part was removing the old soda smell since the pin locks still had Coke in them when I got them. I ended up going to my local craft brewer and using some of their caustic cleaner to get the soda smell out. And replacing all the rubber gaskets.

Regulator - I paid $50 for an excellent regulator on the Internet.

Don't forget to also check AIH and RiteBrew. AIH and AustinHB sell loose and 4 packs of new kegs (also used ones) for a fairly decent price. There are others doing similar things.

Most use the Taprite regulators with the large red knob(s).

To see who gives you the best bang for the buck, stick some of the prices in a spreadsheet, see how they add up. Include shipping charges into the totals. If you have to order from more than one place or use multiple shipments, extra shipping charges can wipe out differences quickly.

The tank is a fairly large $$ purchase and unless you can get it filled locally, you'll end swapping your brand new tank for a used one that won't look half as good. So check around. Check Craigslist for a used tank, perhaps with regulator.

Read around here on kegging and what people use.

You'll need a temp controller for your serving fridge. Get an Inkbird 106 or 108, not an analog one.

Thanks to this post I Just ordered half of my kegging stuff from Ritebrew. Their prices + shipping are on par with Amazon prime, and I can support one of my favorite online shops. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back