Can a check valve be used as a spunding valve for my soleras?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
From the title, this probably sounds like it should be posted in the equipment section. But this question is specifically for my sour beer program, and I'm hoping that the sour brewers here will be opinionated on the topic.

I sold my house, and I'm going to be living with family for a few months between houses. I have about 30-something gallons of sour beer that I'll need to move and store. They're all designed as soleras and are kept in 6.5g(7g) carboys. I bought enough kegs to migrate everything to kegs.

For some kegs, I'll be sure to pick up the settled yeast and LAB, and those kegs will let my soleras persist. Other kegs will be blends from the different carboys and will eventually be served.

Some of the carboys are still slowly producing gas. So, I don't really want to just pressurize them up in a keg. I'd rather let them be at zero or near zero PSI.

I'm thinking about getting a gas distribution manifold, and hooking all of the kegs up to it. What would normally be the input on the manifold will instead function as a single point of output for all of the kegs.

I could just run a hose to a blowoff tube, but I'd rather not have to worry about ensuring the blowoff is constantly submerged. My kegs will actually be stored away from where I'm staying. So... I'm thinking about hooking up an inline check valve in reverse. The inlet would come from the kegs, via the manifold, and the system would terminate at the outlet of the check valve.

One other possibility is just getting an inline check valve for each keg, and hooking them up in reverse directly to each gas disconnect.

In either case, the outlet of the check valve(s) would just be exposed to the air. But this should function as a low PSI spunding valve, right?

Is there any reason I should be worried about air ingress?

It all sounds like a PITA to me, why not put some pressure on the kegs and forget about them? Why do you want the kegs to be at zero PSI?

Well, some are still fermenting. A few PSI on a keg that is at terminal gravity is one thing, but I don't want them to carb up, and the ones that are still chewing away at those complex carbohydrates could certainly carb if they're sealed up.

Back