can 5 gallon biab batches be done in 10 gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
I make english milds, english bitters and english brown ales .Can I do 5 gallon batches of biab of these types of beers in a 10 gallon kettle?

Why do most people say you need minimum 15 gallon kettle for biab ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why do most people say you need minimum 15 gallon kettle for biab ?

Because they haven't learned good heat control and have issues with boilovers and boil off rate so they have to start with extra wort to avoid boiling off too much and with that much extra wort they need lots of space to avoid boiling over when hot break occurs. I do a 5 gallon batch in a 7.5 gallon pot and haven't boiled over yet nor have I ended up with less wort than I intend.:cross:

IMO a 10 gallon kettle is a perfect size for 5 gallon BIAB batches. For a very large grain bill, a simple sparge can compensate for any lack of mash volume.

Also, a larger pot than actually needed will lose more heat during the mash rest due to greater headroom and surface area.

IMO a 10 gallon kettle is a perfect size for 5 gallon BIAB batches. For a very large grain bill, a simple sparge can compensate for any lack of mash volume.

Also, a larger pot than actually needed will lose more heat during the mash rest due to greater headroom and surface area.

Exactly. I did a 5.5 gallon Saison with an OG of 1.075 and 16 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon pot.

Thanx you guys helped me also make a decision in what size kettle to buy when I upgrade

I recommend something larger but only because I have had a great experience with my 13 gallon (50 litre) ss pot. It obviously can be done with little fuss as others atest to but I don't think you'll ever regret getting something a little bigger. I do full volume mashes and yes temps do drop a little more but it makes no sparges and vigorous boils a more comfortable experience with no need to worry about spillage and boilovers.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Home Brew mobile app

I am doing a 5 gal batch in my 8 gal kettle right now. No issues with a standard gravity batch still had an inch or two of room in the mash. Barleywines, yep I am going to have to sparge but guess what not a big deal since it takes about 5 seconds to clean a dunk sparge pot.

I think a kettle that is 30-40% more volume than your wort will be pre-boil is perfect. I do 11 gallon batches in a 20 gal kettle and it's just large enough that I don't get boil overs during hot breaks unless I use a lot of flaked grains and don't stir during hot break.

I did a 5 gallon batch in a 7.5 gallon kettle and this is how close I was to the top at the start of the boil on a red ale. I have since purchased a 10 gallon kettle. Not doing that again.

1.jpg

I just did my first 5 gallon batch ( 9 lbs of grain) in my cheapo $22 8 gallon tamale steamer boil kettle from target with no issue. BIAB

If you have any doubts please check out my http://biabcalculator.com tool. I wrote a total mash volume value in there that takes the volume of grain and water into account so you know the minimum volume of the kettle needed for your recipe and brewing parameters.

If you have any doubts please check out my http://biabcalculator.com tool. I wrote a total mash volume value in there that takes the volume of grain and water into account so you know the minimum volume of the kettle needed for your recipe and brewing parameters.

I like this calculator! Seems to give you all the information needed in a simple format! I also find it interesting and useful that this calculator can be used for a sparge step if needed. Simply calculate your planned batch, and if the warning is given regarding insufficient kettle size, just simply reduce batch size by the amount you want to sparge, and the calculator will compute strike temps given your lower strike volume.

I like this calculator! Seems to give you all the information needed in a simple format! I also find it interesting and useful that this calculator can be used for a sparge step if needed. Simply calculate your planned batch, and if the warning is given regarding insufficient kettle size, just simply reduce batch size by the amount you want to sparge, and the calculator will compute strike temps given your lower strike volume.

Thanks for the kind words wilserbrewer! I have some in return - I just received one of your grain bags, hop bags and pulleys and they are excellent, high quality products that were a very good value - so thank you!

Because they haven't learned good heat control and have issues with boilovers and boil off rate so they have to start with extra wort to avoid boiling off too much and with that much extra wort they need lots of space to avoid boiling over when hot break occurs. I do a 5 gallon batch in a 7.5 gallon pot and haven't boiled over yet nor have I ended up with less wort than I intend.:cross:

I strongly recommend the 15 gallon pot so you can brew any size beer (think DIPA, RIS, barley wine, etc.) with the equipment you have. As for heat control, the head space of a 15 gallon pot will allow you to achieve a good rolling boil without worry about the boil over...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back