Can 3 degrees too cold stop fermentation "cold"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
Brewed a 5 gallon all grain Octoberfest lager Saturday. Pitched 2 packs dry Saflager 23 (per beersmith, although 2 packs was probably overkill).

Threw it in the ferm chamber at 64 to get it going, and it took off after 8-12 hours. At 24 hours I cranked it down to 52 degrees. 2 hours later, airlock stops cold. Checked the lid, and turned it back up to 55 degrees. Within 5 hours the airlock started again. Airlock's still chugging away.

The 52 degrees was well within the limits of the Saflager. I have two thermometers in line to make sure the thermometers are right.

What do you think happened? Will it have any affect on the flavor?

Thanks

your airlock is not a great indicator of what is happening in the fermentor, especially in a lager. 52 degrees is fine for that yeast, set it and forget it.

At the temps lagers ferment at,you need a lot of yeast that're ready to go to keep it fermenting normally at those cold temps.

It could...going from 65 to 52 in 2 hours is probably a relatively large shock for the yeast. Over 24 hours, it might not matter, but that quick could make a diff.

But, they should readjust to the new temp. This is why I start my lager fermentation cold and let it rise. I've heard people get great results from both, so YMMV.

Back