Camlock vs. Quick Disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glacious

Reaction score
I understand CL's can also be considered QD's, but the more typical QD's I think of are:

0S60wSI.jpg

And it's camlock equivalent...

zJWNcK5.jpg

Both are easy to use and work well, but you could argue the camlocks might not be one-handed depending on how dexterous you are.

No for the real question, has anyone found the QD's in a 1/2" or 5/8" ID size, or just the 1/2" barb that has something closer to 3/8 ID which restricts flow? The camlocks are sold at a couple place that have either 5/8" barb (easy to use with 1/2" silicone tubing) or a larger bore with 1/2" ID, but I haven't found the regular QD's that don't restrict flow to ~3/8".

What are people using, and what is your experience with either fitting type?

I use the top QD's also. I like them fine. Need to be cleaned well to keep them from sticking when they dry after brewing. 1/2'' only from what I've found. But works fine with a hose clamp on silicone tubing.

The cam locks are cheaper, I believe, and probably work just as well.

No for the real question, has anyone found the QD's in a 1/2" or 5/8" ID size, or just the 1/2" barb that has something closer to 3/8 ID which restricts flow? The camlocks are sold at a couple place that have either 5/8" barb (easy to use with 1/2" silicone tubing) or a larger bore with 1/2" ID, but I haven't found the regular QD's that don't restrict flow to ~3/8".

That's why I switched to camlocks. They have a bigger bore and are less restrictive.

Camlocks here too - just as fast as QD's with a simpler design that's easier to clean.

Camlocks all the way. Silicone tubing and a silicone gasket on the inside to seal.

Make sure they are similar metals. If you have brass for a mash tun, and stainless elsewhere, you have to match them.

Also get the dust covers, with gaskets. It'll keep it clean and seal if you accidentally open a valve.

I use gravity feed, no pumps. I find the flow to be more than enough.

I use a variation of the top qd's and have no problems with the restriction

Thanks for all the quick replies.

For those that are using camlocks, have you been able to disconnect/connect one handed? I imagine it's possible, but quite tricky moving both levers at once. The top disconnect seems to be pretty easy one-handed from the videos and reviews I've read. I'm going to be picking up about 10 female (with hose barb) and 10 male for the pots, pumps, and ball valves and didn't want to have to do it twice.

The levers don't have to be moved simultaneously on the cam locks, especially when disconnecting. It's very easy to disconnect them one handed, but not at all practical to connect them one handed, even though it can be done.

The collar type of QD are really easy to operate one handed when cool enough to touch, but not so much when they get too hot to handle with bare hands. Wearing gloves makes operating them one handed much less practical.

FWIW I chose threaded cam-locks mostly for the minimal restriction and lower price, and I've been very happy with them.

The levers don't have to be moved simultaneously on the cam locks, especially when disconnecting. It's very easy to disconnect them one handed, but not at all practical to connect them one handed, even though it can be done.

The collar type of QD are really easy to operate one handed when cool enough to touch, but not so much when they get too hot to handle with bare hands. Wearing gloves makes operating them one handed much less practical.

FWIW I chose threaded cam-locks mostly for the minimal restriction and lower price, and I've been very happy with them.

+1 to all of the above, especially the comment about getting the threaded male cam-locks instead of barbed. There's very little if any restriction using those. Also, 1/2" silicone tubing fits snugly over the threaded end and stays on just fine without any clamp needed. Mine have never leaked a drop. That's how all of the hoses for my E-BIAB are set up.

If you don't mind high temperature plastic the CPC disconnects do the job and can be attached or unattached with one hand.

I use the QD's shown in the top picture, and not ones with full 1/2" bore (they're actually smaller). I prefer them to camlocks as they're really easy to connect/disconnect with one hand. (Just make sure to put the female QD's on the hoses and not on the equipment).

I've never had any issues with flow rates at all. I think the whole flow rate concern is overblown.

Kal

Back