Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. Gotta go get all new cables & re-wire the control stomp box. Flood & some fool putting my chit in the basement ruined some stuff. Good thing the amp head & speaker cab were upstairs...

Wow, Helstar been around since '84? Never even heard of them I don't think.

Yep, this new record's probably some of their best since Nosferatu. That new Vanden Plas record is superb, easily their best since Beyond Daylight.

New episode of ALE AND METAL TV. Best song is Opeth, "The Baying of the Hounds". Hope you guys enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgaSOeAEE3s"][YOUTUBE]qgaSOeAEE3s[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

New episode of ALE AND METAL TV. Best song is Opeth, "The Baying of the Hounds". Hope you guys enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]qgaSOeAEE3s[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the new single, sounds kinda like disco to me.. Not that I don't dig some of their earlier stuff as noted by beerinasippicup but this new direction is simply not for metal (including the last album or two and that god awful cover crap).

Anyway, the new record release has apparently been pushed back a few months, if this is any indication of what the rest will be like I vote for skip it, chalk it up to poor decision making and get back to where you need to be with a quickness.

Last edited by a moderator:

[YOUTUBE]qgaSOeAEE3s[/YOUTUBE]

From my own experiences with crystal & pellet fertilizers,you have to till them in & water for about two weeks to get them to break down into the soil. till again before planting. Otherwise,planting them when you add the pellets/crystal will burn the roots in short order.

planting them when you add the pellets/crystal will burn the roots in short order.

Good to know! Whenever I search for "HOW TO" on hop gardening, I run into contradicting ideas. I try to take every bit of advice with a grain of salt. Trial and error will prove what works for me.

this new direction is simply not for metal (including the last album or two and that god awful cover crap

I personally haven't herd any of there new stuff, (link above no longer works). I actually LOVE melodic metal/blues (so if the new stuff is anything like that, it may appeal to me. :eek: ) I bought the Opeth : Ghost Reveries album on iTunes just so I could put the song "The Baying of the Hounds" into the new Ale and Metal TV episode. The long and slow Blues solo at the end of "Hours of Wealth" is incredible. IMHO

ANY VOTES FOR WHAT SONGS SHOULD GO IN THE NEXT ALE AND METAL TV EPISODE?

ANY VOTES FOR WHAT SONGS SHOULD GO IN THE NEXT ALE AND METAL TV EPISODE?

Any of these should do nicely...

Agalloch - The Serpent And The Sphere
Dark Avenger - Tales Of Avalon: The Lament
Triumphant - Herald The Unsung
Teitanblood - Death
We Are Legend - Rise Of The Legend
Atlantean Kodex - The White Goddess
Edguy - Space Police/Defenders Of The Crown
Thunderstorm - Witchunter Tales
Royal Hunt - A Life To Die For
Brainstorm - Firesoul
Battleroar - Blood Of Legends
Grand Magus - Triumph And Power
Falkenbach - Asa
Iron Savior - Rise Of The Hero
Cauldron Black Ram - Stalagmire
Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism
Sabaton - Heroes
Masters Of Disguise - Back With A Vengeance
Gamma Ray - Empire Of The Undead
Onward - Evermoving
Persuader - The Fiction Maze
Primal Fear - Delivering The Black
Withem - The Point Of You
Skogen - I Doden
Sinbreed - Shadows
Noble Beast - S/T
Vanden Plas - Chronicles Of The Immortals..

Here's the new single, sounds kinda like disco to me.. Not that I don't dig some of their earlier stuff as noted by beerinasippicup but this new direction is simply not for metal (including the last album or two and that god awful cover crap).

Anyway, the new record release has apparently been pushed back a few months, if this is any indication of what the rest will be like I vote for skip it, chalk it up to poor decision making and get back to where you need to be with a quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJjJgptNxs

Wow. As soon as I heard that I thought of this.

I guess Opeth has gone The Way of Amorphis.

...get it? Ha!

Many a once good metal band has strayed down that path with the only justification founded in what some want to call "growth" or "evolution", in reality it's nothing but BS, more than likely promoted mostly by some sort of drug induced egomania, most end up in some goth/ambient post/alt genre with little or no fan base for their effort, which is absolutely justified in my book....

Katatonia, Ulver, Paradise Lost to name a few, all great metal bands at inception and in their own right. Lost Horizon could be another example but the blame falls on Heiman's ******* alone there, shame he had one of the best voices ever just to end up wasting it but we got a couple of killer albums out of the deal anyway.

So sad, so very sad.

I remember when A Celebration of Guilt came out, thinking “they have perfected melodic/technical death metal” (and this record is pretty damn close!) I went and saw them on this tour and they absolutely floored me, bought the T-Shirt and record. MANY questionable albums later, I didn’t know if I could wear the shirt again. Then they Dropped their new record, Unwelcome, and I am now proud to wear my ARSIS shirt again! Enjoy some bad ass melodic/Tech-death!

I guess my last post ties into the Opeth / Amorphis conversation, in that I never thought ARSIS would get it together. On the topic of Opeth, probably not, as I think Mikael Åkerfeldt, has decided to completely abandon his metal roots. I mean I get it, you really like Kind Crimson, Yes, and 100 other Prog 70’s bands. But don’t release your new prog music under the Opeth moniker, especially when your name is so recognizable! He will say Mikael Åkerfeldt is Opeth, which is a valid point, but as a fan, I listen to My Arms, Your Hearse, Orchid, Blackwater Park, etc, and I call BULL****! What I LOVED about Opeth is that they were able to mix progressive passages with some of the heaviest death metal riffs on the planet. In addition, Mikael Åkerfeldt has one of the nicest singing voices, but he also has one the most BADASS death metal growls on the planet (listen to Bloodbath if Opeth is not enough to get it!) I bought Heritage, on vinyl no less, cause of the Opeth name and I am a fan (I kind of knew what I was getting into, but not the extent). I will not make the same mistake twice. So when he acts nonchalant in interviews about losing fans, IT IS HAPPENING! Also, I saw them with Ghost and Mastodon in Charlotte, and let me tell ya, that Heritage material is BOOOOORING!

Latest posts

Back