Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw Megadeth, Fear Factory and Nonpoint last night. Ears are ringing.

:rockin:

Hey metalheads

I used to go to metal shows all the time in Denver, then I moved up further into the mountains and fell out of the metal scene due to a lack of time/vehicle/money to make it down the hill very often. I haven't been to a show in years, but I'd like to get back into it. Is there a good resource these days for finding out who's touring and dates and whatnot? My old methods of word of mouth + checking the local newspapers aren't going to work as well now with my secluded mountain lifestyle.

I caught wind of Amon Amarth and Enslaved coming to town, so I think it's high time I got back on that horse.

Hey metalheads

I used to go to metal shows all the time in Denver, then I moved up further into the mountains and fell out of the metal scene due to a lack of time/vehicle/money to make it down the hill very often. I haven't been to a show in years, but I'd like to get back into it. Is there a good resource these days for finding out who's touring and dates and whatnot? My old methods of word of mouth + checking the local newspapers aren't going to work as well now with my secluded mountain lifestyle.

I caught wind of Amon Amarth and Enslaved coming to town, so I think it's high time I got back on that horse.

Welcome back! Check out the forums over at Encyclopaedia Metallum, that site is also a very good reference/resource for any and all things metal as the name implies.

:mug:

Thanks Headbanger

Wish I had done this a few days ago. Looks like I just missed Finntroll. That would have been fun.

the forum is smarter than me! lolol

anyway, i have been out of the loop for so long i dont even know most of the bands you guys were talking about. so, i give you an old school video. piggy would approve.

Alright, headbanger, since you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the metal scene:

I've been really enjoying High On Fire lately, particularly Death Is This Communion and Snakes For The Divine. I'm not as crazy about De Vermis Mysteriis. I'd like to find more stuff along the lines of the first two albums I mentioned. I've checked out Red Fang and Sleep, but they're both a little too 70s fuzzy for my taste. Any suggestions?

Alright, headbanger, since you seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the metal scene:

I've been really enjoying High On Fire lately, particularly Death Is This Communion and Snakes For The Divine. I'm not as crazy about De Vermis Mysteriis. I'd like to find more stuff along the lines of the first two albums I mentioned. I've checked out Red Fang and Sleep, but they're both a little too 70s fuzzy for my taste. Any suggestions?

I'd say Lair Of The Minotaur might be up your alley, also check out Kylesa and Horn Of The Rhino.

I'm a huge Kylesa fan. Saw them a few months ago. Great show. I'm listening to some Lair of the Minotaur on YouTube now. Good stuff. Thank you.

How the hell did this thread go for 128 pages with no Godflesh?

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Ihsahn album is all over the damn place. I'll give it a couple of listens, but my first impression is that it's a bit of a mess.

The new Ihsahn album is all over the damn place. I'll give it a couple of listens, but my first impression is that it's a bit of a mess.

Yeah, I like some of the old Emperor stuff but IMO black metal is not the best venue to get all high-brow like he's trying to do. I tried to listen to the last Ihsahn record when I received a promo copy of it but once the sax kicked in I promptly hit eject and tossed the cd in the trash.

Yeah, I like some of the old Emperor stuff but IMO black metal is not the best venue to get all high-brow like he's trying to do. I tried to listen to the last Ihsahn record when I received a promo copy of it but once the sax kicked in I promptly hit eject and tossed the cd in the trash.

I agree with you about Emperor/Isahn, I only really like the first couple Emperor albums.

Sax isn't always a bad thing in metal though. This is one of my all-time favorites:

A bit too core-ish at times for my taste but altogether a solid MDM offering...

Back