Calling all IPA lovers...what are your favorite 3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torpedo
DFH60
Founders Centennial

and i think 2-hearted would make my list, but i can't get it here and its been so long that i can't vouch right now...

Torpedo
DFH60
Founders Centennial

and i think 2-hearted would make my list, but i can't get it here and its been so long that i can't vouch right now...

You can get Founders Centennial, but not 2-hearted? I thought Bells had a much larger distribution area...

For me, two-hearted is tastier than Centennial, but both are good beers.

founders came into SC about three months ago full-bore. I can get almost all of their beers now. Bells just broke into SC about three weeks ago (i actually got to attend a local release where i met some of the bells guys and was able to get a couple free beers out of it!) Unfortunately they are starting with a limited release which includes Oberon, their Amber, and the kalamazoo stout i believe. Two-hearted won't be available until at least the fall i was told. i will just have to wait!

I changed my mind several times as I went through the list, Oh yah, forgot about that one.

1. Two Hearted
2. Goose Island
3. Bitter Woman

Also, Victory, Lagunitas, and a few others that I forgot again.

Not counting any IIPAs:
Flossmoor Station X-IPA
Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA
tie: Bell's Two Hearted and Goose Island IPA (when fresh)

I really enjoy.....

Lakefront Brewery IPA
Mad Hatter from New Holland
Summit IPA

honorable mention :Aprihop from Dogfish Head (I've been on numerous kicks lately, IPA's being one of them, and apricot ales being the other and that one fed both my kicks in one beer.):mug:

I would put Hop Wallop on my top 3 list but the fact that Ive had 1 1/2 of them right now and it seems like Ive had 10 beers makes it less appealing to me. :drunk:

Kinda new to IPA so I've only tried maybe 5-6. They grew on me quickly and are now my favorite kind of beer.
Stone Ruination
Dogfish Head 90 minute
Hopslam

Not counting IIPAs:

SN Torpedo
Bridgeport IPA
Deschutes Red Chair

I've never had any Stone or Dogfish Head IPAs, though I've heard enough about them.

I'm too lazy and tired to see if we're counting IIPAs or not. So I am. Mah three!:

1 - Bell's Hopslam
2 - DFH's 90 Minute
3 - Troeggs' Nugget Nectar
Honorable mention - Stone's Ruination

IPA- SN Celebration, Stone Cali Belgique, Surly Furious
IIPA- GD Hercules, 3F Dreadnaught, tie: I2PA, Hopslam, Hop Stoopid, Hop Rod Rye, others

Pliney the elder
Racer 5
Stone IPA

But then there Moylan's Moylander DIPA,Green Flash IIPA, Ruination, Rubicon Brewings IPA is good, and there's so many more that I haven't tried yet.:mug:

I just discovered Goose Island IPA. WOW, a completely different version, at least for me. Very low bitterness effect, but loads of hop flavor. I loved it a lot. Going to have to figure this one out! I'm sticking w/extracts, so I might go:
Pale LME
1# crystal steeping grains as BK heats thru 165f or so

Styrian, Fuggle, Cascade, Centennial, per their site
accepting ideas how I might add those hops...such as:
1 oz Fuggles 60 minutes
.5 oz Cascade 15 minutes
.5 oz Cascade 10 minutes
.5 oz Centennial 5 minutes
.5 oz Centennial flameout
?How's that grab ya?

I really want to try Bell's, but I guess they're scared of the West coast.

I just recently had Victory Hop Wallop for the first time, and that's a mighty fine IPA. I'd say that's in my top 3 for sure. I'd really have to do a side-by-side taste test for some of them to choose, and even then I'm not sure. 3 is too few slots.

I really want to try Bell's, but I guess they're scared of the West coast.

Sounds like a trade is in order. ;)

In no particular order:
Southern Tier IPA - Southern Tier Brewing Company
High Seas IPA - Michigan Brewing Company
Two Hearted - Bells Brewery
Crooked Tree IPA - Dark Horse

Green Flash
Snake Dog
DFH 60

I really dont have much experience with IPA's. I'm in the phase of 'all these things are GREAT!@"

Anchor Liberty is a very underrated beer

Is that an IPA?

Not trying to be an ass. It's just I've seen it on the shelf and have looked over it many times for fears of it not being hoppy enough. If it's an IPA or at least a nice hoppy beer, I'll give it a shot.

Stone Ruination (had the double dry hopped from the brewery this past weekend)
Sierra Anniversary
Bear Republic Race 5

Is that an IPA?

Not trying to be an ass. It's just I've seen it on the shelf and have looked over it many times for fears of it not being hoppy enough. If it's an IPA or at least a nice hoppy beer, I'll give it a shot.

Thats certainly what I would call it

6% ABV and its a nice hoppy beer
Not Ruination mind you but a nice beer

You know you're a hophead when a thread like this makes you want to start drinking before you're done with your morning coffee. ;-)

1.) Alesmith IPA
2.) Moylan's Hopsickle
3.) He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

And it's not an IPA, but Ithaca's Cascazilla is a wonderfully super-hoppy amber/red.

In no particular order:

Boulder's Mojo (gotta love those Amarillo hops)
Avery IPA
Flying Dog's Snake Dog

I hate you guys....my beer selection here sucks. The only IPA's I have ever tried is

Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale - Tastes like all commercial beers
India Beer - Which is good, but tastes like all Newfie Commercial beers (not even sure if this is a true IPA)

In no particular order, depending on the mood I am in...

Hop Ottin' (Boon Valley)
Terminal Gravity
Lagunitas
Sierra Nevada Celebration

Latest posts

Back