Calling All Greater Raleigh Area Brewers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We keep losing the wireless connection here at Boston's. (We're outside, router is inside upstairs... weak connection.)

Probably an issue on our end.

I *REALLY* hope somebody was watching the last 20 minutes of this brew session to see the oh-so-elegant transfer into the carboy.

I hope no one actually watched that webcast... Thanks for having me over!

Yeah, Boston had some equipment difficulties, and the rest of us either standing around offering inane suggestions (and outright abuse) or ineptly trying to help, turned the transfer into the carboy into a Three Stooges routine. Funny, though :D

Had a great time this morning. Good to see Boston and Walker again and meet Barc and skeeordye11. Too bad Professor Frink, Beerthoven, Joebou4860, Baron Von BeeGee and some of the other GRABASSers couldn't make it. We'll have to brew again soon. My deck is too small to accommodate more than two brewers but I'll check to see if my garage would work. That'll get me a nasty letter from the HOA, but it might be worth it.

Chad

I wouldn't worry about just getting a letter from the HOA... I'd worry more about being (permanently) removed from the neighborhood. And with a crew like we had today, you'd be sure to succeed if that was your goal.

It was great to meet all you guys and I hope we can all get together again soon.

The Baron was there today, with daughter in tow. They came early stayed until there was a pee-pee accident, and then left. :D

I managed to take a few pics today. I can't find the USB cable I need to get them pulled off. I'll put them up here as soon as I can.

Good to meet some new folks, too.

The Baron was there today, with daughter in tow. They came early stayed until there was a pee-pee accident, and then left. :D
Baron or daughter? :p

Dang, sorry I missed him. I've only met the Baron once or twice. It would have been good to say Hi again. Sorry I missed the opportunity.

Chad

I would also like to say that it was nice to finally meet some fellow HBTers yesterday. Sorry I couldn't stay till the end, especially since it sounds like I missed the most exciting part of transfering to the carboy. I hope we get to do it again soon! Oh Boston, I left my coffee cup at your place so we'll def have to do it again very soon! Cheers!

The fun never stops. I decided that I needed to brew another batch of APA, and I needed to brew it this weekend.

I'll be heating water up tomorrow morning around 8am if anyone is interested.

I have had ALL kinds of temp problems this morning with my mash. Started at 165 for a bit, got it down to 158, then got it down to 140 somehow. Got it back up to 146 now...

egads.

I'll be over in a few minutes for a cup of coffee....get the Bailey's out, please.

Sorry I couldn't make it, I already had some experiments set up at lab when I got the email. I'll check out the stream from here though.

no problem. Jeff just came by to drink my Bailey's. Filled his coffee cup, took some spent grains for dog treats and split.

We had a rotating shift here, and I didn't have any photos with Baron von BeeGee, but here was the main crew. Left to right; Boston, Barc, skeeordye11, Chad, all enjoying a mid-morning beer.

IMG00263.jpg

Boston toiling away over the kettle:
IMG00266.jpg

Chad and Barc flinging insults (and is Barc flexing his tiny arms?):
IMG00264.jpg

Near the end of the process, Jeff finally got some help, and things started to deteriorate after that:
IMG00268.jpg

The kettle's drain clogged. Boston and I took turns blowing into the tube (very VERY sanitary). Jeff went first, which allowed him to get a mouthful of dry yeasties that were sticking to the hose.
IMG00269.jpg

We tried to reclaim the wort that was caught inside of Boston's hop-sock, which made a mess all over the place.
IMG00271.jpg

The kettle kept giving us problems, so a unanimous "F*ck it" was declared, and Boston went old-school, dumping the kettle through the hop sock and into a small pot.
IMG00272.jpg

Barc was foolish enough to stand and hold the hop-sock to let it drain (again):
IMG00273.jpg

So, we left his ass there and went for a beer:
IMG002741.jpg

Since we were already way deep into "Boy, this isn't going smoothly, is it?" territory, Boston decided to give the hop-sock a squeeze and call it a day:
IMG00275.jpg

Actually, I wasn't flexing. Just sort of standing there...

Did you get a shot of the purplish pint?

Actually, I wasn't flexing. Just sort of standing there...
Oh, ok. It just looked a lot like you were just sort of standing like this:

103727main_bodybuilder.jpg

:D

Did you get a shot of the purplish pint?

Unfortunately, no. I didn't really get a shot of any of the beer we were drinking, or even the randall I was wrestling with.

I can't help it if you're jealous of my awesomeness...

Thanks! It is up ~9% ABV with a final gravity of close to 1.03, if memory serves, so it should be! Lots of unfermentable sugars, lots of adjuncts, and 3 different yeasts / fermentations all combined into a single large carboy and left to its own devices for a while... Then bottled and forgotten about for a year. It was supposed to be entered into the AR state fair this year but I wound up in NC due to work... I've considered a toned down version with some coffee and maybe a sour component similar to Guinness but I don't know that it wouldn't be too much going on. Of course, with a smaller beer, it may be OK...

On a side note, I brewed up a small batch of IPA on Saturday, semi-SMaSH style (used my own "Crystal" made from some plain Pale Ale malt) with Palisades hops and then caramelized some sugars due to boiling a single gallon til it visually got a tad darker before adding it to the main brew pot. Pitched a large starter of SN Celebration harvested yeast, which I think is the Chico strain. Here's to hoping it will be bottled and at least sampleable before New Year's! Had I have known about your Sunday-thing earlier, I would have tried to gotten out.

Had I have known about your Sunday-thing earlier, I would have tried to gotten out.

I'm a little impulsive. I had a slight thought about brewing Friday morning and had decided on Saturday afternoon that I was definitely brewing.

Back when I had tons of hops and DME on hand, I would literally decide out of the blue to brew a batch of beer, walk to the kitchen, and start heating water.

That's what I do sometimes. I will start out thinking "hey, I am gonna brew this batch today and watch a movie tonight" and end up brewing 2 batches, missing dinner, and cleaning up til midnight!

Great photos Walker. Way to be the responsible one and actually document the debauchery. You weren't kidding when you said you had issues getting the wort into the carboy either. Too bad I missed that part for sure! Next time hopefully I can brew as well. I like taking the setup on the road from time to time.

Great photos Walker. Way to be the responsible one and actually document the debauchery.

Oh.... when the **** hits the fan, I am always quick to get some pictures. I wish I had owned a photo-taking phone when Jeff and I hauled both of our breweries up to VA to visit Dude. That was a hell of a trip, and we even had olllllo fly in for the weekend.

If that happens again, count me in on the road trip!

Back