Calling all BJCP Gurus: English Porter and Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk4

Reaction score
I'm piecing together an English Porter recipe but, my SRM keeps climbing higher and higher. The BJCP say that an English Porter has a limit of 30 SRM, but even their list of commercial examples include Fuller's London Porter which has an estimated SRM of 35.

So I guess my question is this: What might score better for me, going darker and pursuing the flavor that I want? Or should I stay within the recommended guidelines, but adjust my recipe accordingly?

How many points might you lose if you are "too dark"?

Edit FYI: Here's my grain bill
Maris Otter: 51%
Munich: 16.33%
Brown Malt: 12.24%
Crystal 80: 8.16%
Chocolate: 6.12%
Flaked Barley: 6.12%

When it comes to the stat numbers in the BJCP guidelines, take em with a grain of salt. Even in competition, appearance is only 3 points, so if darker lends the right character, go for it. It tends to want Bitters to be too dark, and Milds and Porters to be too pale.

Flavor scores are out of 20 points vs the 3 for appearance. If having it be darker gets you more spot on with your flavor you can make up a point that way, but also we don't judge based off of numbers and ranges, we give the beer a color, i.e. Dark brown with garnet highlights. Hope this helps with your recipe formulation.

Back