California Common twist. Recipe help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestem4

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm hoping some people would chip in a few suggestions or ideas based on a recipe I am trying to come up.

I am doing research to try and build the recipe myself including amounts, but due to my inexperience with a lot of hops and grains since this will be my 2nd brew, I am not sure what would be best (going off of "Descriptions" of each item)

I want to do a California Common (Steam) beer partial extract with a bit of a Cream ale twist which as far as I can tell, is adding corn or rice adjunct.

So far, I have been thinking:
Grain:
Vienna or Pale Ale malt (not sure if 2 or 6 row)
Flaked Corn
Not sure what to do for the Malt extract. I'd love to use more grains less extract, but I am still limited to a 5 gallon brew system.

Hops:
Northern Brewer (seems to be popular for steam beers)
Brewers Gold?

Yeast
Wyeast California Lager 2112

Thank you for taking a look. I'm doing some reading so I can figure out what percentages of each I need, but like I said, due to my inexperience with the different grains and hops I just don't know what would go well with this, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear it.

I just got in from work, I will take a look at some of my old Cal Common recipes and see if I can offer you some advice later today.

Based on your grain bill it will be just an American Lager

Common has speciality grains to give it color and a slight toast flavor

Northern Brewer is the standard hop for a common

California Lager is a good was to do a lager without a chamber because it will ferment all right at ale temps

My two cents

Thanks for the info.

I'd really like to avoid just an "american lager" (I don't like american lagers). What specialty grains would make it more Steam Beer-ish? I did more research on the cream ale style and it may not be what i'm looking for. (I was being misled by the name). I was thinking more of a creamy steam-beer. If that's possible.

Little bit of crystal like C40 And for toasty notes victory and pale chocolate Look up Jamils Common recipe it's a winner every time Yeah there's nothing creamy about a cream beer

If you want something creamy do a vanilla porter or sweet stout and serve on Nitrogen ... I've actually had a cream ale on nitrogen ...dumb idea

I was hoping to do a steam beer but I'll keep those in mind for later. Although I don't have any way to nitrogenate.

How does this sound. (Based on Jamil's recipe you mentioned but I have trouble just using someone elses recipe. I want to explore/try my own ideas.)

7Lbs Pale LME
1.5 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal 40
8oz Victory
2oz Chocolate

I'd like to use less LME than Jamil's Recipe calls for and more grains, but I'm not sure how to do that.
I don't know what hops, amounts, or boil times to use. I'm going to go to a LHBS and take a few samples of the grains and hops and see what my senses tell me.

I have two different California common recipes posted (one is Jamil's) if you want to see how I put it all together in two different ways.

(Under "recipes" on the left under my avatar).

I have two different California common recipes posted (one is Jamil's) if you want to see how I put it all together in two different ways.

(Under "recipes" on the left under my avatar).

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Back