California Common Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale1038

Reaction score
Oh, to warm my beer up with a little D-rest or not? That is the question of the day. Fermented at 62. Just took a gravity reading and I'm about 6 points from FG. Didn't really taste any butter. Maybe.....maybe just a trace of oiliness, but probably not.

I've been warming all my beers up to have them finish out with varying results. What do we think? Let it go at 62 and rack and lager in a few days...or a little resty rest on this fine Friday?

Won't hurt and it might help a bit.

PH - a CC yeast ferments well 10-15F higher than most lager yeasts. But you still lager (age) the beer.

If you're getting some "slickness" or oiliness on your tongue, I have a feeling the diacetyl will get worse! Go ahead and do a diacetyl rest before racking. You'll be very glad you did.

I think I've read every one of Yooper's posts on her Cali Common. I know she goes low and long...I really don't think I'm getting any Diacetyl...but who knows for sure.

I pitched around 58 and fermented there for a day until bringing it up to 62 for the last 6 days. I talked to my brew buddy and we're going to let it go at 62.

I think we've been mashing too low in the past, but we have a new setup and hit our mash right this time. We're ready for a beer with some body so we're going to let it go.

So California Commons should be fermented at ale temps then lagered? I just brewed my CC yesterday and put it at 55 degrees. Should I bring the temp up? I thought it was a lager.

So California Commons should be fermented at ale temps then lagered? I just brewed my CC yesterday and put it at 55 degrees. Should I bring the temp up? I thought it was a lager.

I would say it's fermented at very low ale temps. The yeast can do well at normal ale temps, which is why people like it. Yooper does hers at 58-60 and leaves it for a month. I went at 62. Others have success at 65+ (assuming you used the cali strain of yeast).

You don't have to come up in temp, it will just take a while longer.

As an update....I did bring mine upstairs to about 70 degrees after reading Jamil's post. I felt like I have been on the right track with this approach, but the beers haven't been very good. I'm hoping our old mash setup was the problem. We will see.

Back