California Ale tastes and smells like Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of a rye session IPA. In carboy 1 I pitched White Labs California Ale yeast which i used a few weeks prior and had washed. In carboy 2 I pitched a packet of US05. After 2 weeks I took gravity readings before transferring to a secondary to dry hop and in taking hydrometer reading samples, the US05 batch tasted amazing where as the California Ale batch smells and tastes like a Belgian Wit.

I do keep/use Belgian Wit yeast but haven't used it in 10 months. I wash and reused the Calif Ale yeast from a pale ale batch i made a month prior. The big difference is that I didn't have time to make a stirplate starter so i pitched about twice what i would have pitched into the starter (about 2/3 pint). It took the batch about a 2 days to get going which wasn't a surprise since I didn't make a starter.

The cell growth stage can create a lot of (off) flavors, but I've never had something so strange as this. I'm inclined to think I somehow got some residual Wit yeast this batch unless some know of Calif Ale causing these sorts of flavors. It had a light banana smell and an herbal spicy flavor like coriander.

So now i likely have a Belgian Rye Session IPA and a Rye session IPA.

Another surprise with this batch (being my first Rye) is that both attenuated down to 1.006. I've heard that Rye produces a dry crisp beer but wasn't sure it was technically drier or perceived dryness. I mashed low for a light body beer too.

Just looking for some feedback, ideas, or similar experiences.
Thx.

Back