English Porter Caledonian Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK_Chess

enthusiastic learner
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002 English Ale
Yeast Starter
800ml (Stir plate)
Batch Size (Gallons)
23L (5 gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 min
IBU
30-35 IBU\\'s
Color
Dark brown with hints of ruby
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days
Additional Fermentation
Cold Crash -1 Celsius (30F) 7 days
Tasting Notes
Biscuity with a dry finish. Good hop character.
Caledonian Porter - Brown Porter
================================================================================
Batch Size: 23L (5 Gallons)
Boil Size: 28 L
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.0%
Bitterness: 30 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 16 SRM (Morey)

Perhaps harking back to an age when Porters were a staple of the dock workers who used to consumme it at lunch time and return to work it sports a modest ABV of 4%. What it lacks in strength it makes up for in taste. The amber malt imparts a dry buscuity flavour in the mouth leading to a dry finish with a good hop profile. Expect hints of dark chocolate and roast coffee.

Fermentables
================================================================================
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK 3.5Kg (7lbs 12oz)
White Wheat Malt 465g (1lbs)
Amber Malt 210g (7.4oz)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 210g (7.4oz)
Chocolate Malt (UK) 135g (4.8oz)
Total grain: 4.520 kg (9lbs 15oz)

Hops
Kent Goldings 5.4% 45g (1.5oz) 60min 23 IBU's
Fuggles 5.0% 13g (0.5oz) 60min 6.2 IBU's

Yeast
WLP002 - British Ale

Mash
Infusion @ 66 Celsius (150F)
Mash Out @ 74 Celsius (165F)

Water Profile
Ca 73
Mg 1
Na 15
SO4 46
Cl 60
HCO3 NA
SO4/Cl Ratio 0.8

Sounds good.
Probably a very quick grain to glass.
I saw in the other thread that you have brewed this regularly so I guess its a good one. Will give it a try sometime but might take a while as my 'to brew' list is about 50 beers long.
Will use MO though as it's about 33% cheaper than GP for me.
Also WLP005 instead of WLP002 because WLP002 has been too finicky for me the 2 times I tried it. :mug:

Yes I bought this as an all grain kit when I was starting out and have brewed it times since. Has a lovely coffee flavour. I hear you on the Golden Promise, its way expensive. I am trying for the first time an Irish pale malt, Hook Head Series Minch Malt which was very reasonably priced. Also I tried Best Malz Pilsen and think its better than the Weyermann Pilsner malt. Reason I was attracted to both is that they are spring grown barley like the Golden Promise. The Head brewer at the fabled Timothy Taylor brewery in Keighley swears by spring grown barley. :)

Back