Calcium and water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I'm reading my municipal water report and finding it a bit confusing. When looking for the calcium content, two values for Calcium appear, one under "Total Metals in Water by ICPOES"and "Dissolved Metals by ICPOES". Which one is the one that I'm looking for?

I'm plugging my water profile into Beersmith 3.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Cheers,

Luis

What are the values? And a pic would help.

ICPOES is apparently the detection technique:

“inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry (ICP-OES), is an analytical technique used for the detection of chemical elements.”

Here's the report. The values are 38.9 and 42... but total hardness is 162, so it's doesn't really make sense that Calcium is that low...

Attachments

• L2146467_COA.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
So it's the dissolved value that we're interested in... What's the 2.5 and the 4.12 about?

For calcium it is the molecular weight of CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) divided by the molecular weight of Ca++

100.0869/40.078 = 2.49730

For magnesium it is the molecular weight of CaCO3 divided by the molecular weight of Mg++

100.0869/24.305 = 4.11796

Thus total hardness "as CaCO3"

The seasonal variation in your water source will more than account for the difference. Choose either one. Or choose 40ppm. 3.1ppm is insignificant.

For calcium it is the molecular weight of CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) divided by the molecular weight of Ca++

100.0869/40.078 = 2.49730

For magnesium it is the molecular weight of CaCO3 divided by the molecular weight of Mg++

100.0869/24.305 = 4.11796

Thus total hardness "as CaCO3"
Sweet, thanks.

Latest posts

Back