Calcium And Magnesium From Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
With all the talk about water reports and salt additions, I was wondering how much calcium and magnesium would one expect to get from the mash alone if I used regular 2-row and distilled water. Any thoughts?

Yes, malt does impart calcium and magnesium into wort. However, the concentrations we aim for in our brewing water are largely based upon empirical results and including targeted concentrations in our brewing water produces improved beer. In addition, I contend that the calcium and magnesium bound in the wort compounds may not be as available to affect taste and flavor. Therefore, it is appropriate to add certain ions to brewing water to produce desired results. The levels of ions in the water will depend on the taste and flavor goals of the brewer and drinker.

In my experience, brewing with very low ionic content water produces bland beer. In the case of lighter and maltier styles, having low ionic can still be desirable.

Back