CAD-Returning the Favor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCADJockey

ALL YOUR BASE
Reaction score
Hi DiY guys and girls. After being here a few weeks and being blown away by the amount of generosity throughout the site, I just wanted to start this thread to try and give back. If anyone has any sketches for their new bar, ideas with general dimensions or anything they would like drawn up quickly... hit me up. I'll gladly throw it together for ya real quick and send it .pdf. Hopefully this isn't a silly waste of thread space, just thought it could help someone out.

Cheers :mug:

Also, just to throw it out there... if anyone is, or has children that have any questions related to the program or drafting in general I'd be willing to help out. Just designed a structure for my best friend to support their small crop of hops which doubles as a beer garden and has hidden storage for outdoor brewing & cooking :)

AutoCAD / Inventor by profession. Revit is my favorite but I have no use for it where I work now, I just use it because its amazing or if a friend needs some quick 3D.

I've never used SolidWorks but a lot of the companies that ask me for assembly drawings need it in SW format. So I just save Inventor drawings in a format that they can open in SW.

Personally I think it really depends on the job at hand. CAD can do anything if you are experienced enough, it can just take a little longer than the 3D programs. Revit is unbelievable though. I can turn a floor plan into full package of 3D / Perspective / Video / Lighting / Analysis drawings within a day. Its an amazing program. To draw a wall in CAD, may take a dozen lines. To draw a wall in Revit, you draw a line.

Simple floor plans and structural drawings... I'd turn to basic CAD any day. There is no need for more.

I use SW daily, and it is fairly comparable to Inventor. Different flavors of a similar recipe.

But Revvit . . . that is a whole different animal. It'd be like a brewer trying to bake a cake. :fro:

If I never had to draw in 2D again I'd be a happy man . . .:D

There is some old school sense of accomplishment though when you complete a perspective / isometric drawing in 2D. Like yeah, I remember how to do that the real way. To think, growing up I always said "I don't care about AutoCAD! I'm going to do all my drawings with pencil and ink forever." Heeeh...

I use SW on a daily basis and I can confidently say that they will be much more prominent in the future. They have nice big contracts with Universities where the students are taught SW instead of anything else. I thought maybe it was only my university (University of Texas) but apparently it's a battle out there that SW seems to be winning somehow. I know industry is pretty much split. But as the students head out into industry and take their SW knowledge out, I can imagine a shift in the future.

Personally I use both. They both have their caveats but at the end of the day I have to say I prefer solidworks a bit more. It seems a bit more intuitive. Though I should probably admit that this bias could be due to the "programming" I have recieved.

I grew up an architect at heart. Took years of architectural design and drafting classes... and ended up with an aerospace engineering company. Everything changes. A strong foundation of learning how to do drawings by hand first makes everything else, whatever. I long to draw buildings again :eek:

Back