Cacao Nibs Before Fermentation Is Complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In my experience, I've used cacao nibs in several beers, after terminal gravity was reached with great success.

However, I'm trying to avoid as much oxidation as possible. By comparison, I dry hop 3-4 days into primary so the active yeast will scrub out the oxygen. I'm wondering if that's something I can do with cacao nibs, and not transform or lose any benefits.

The beer is a bigger beer so it will take time to clean up and such. Just wondering what any cons would be if I added the nibs with a few points left on the hydrometer, instead of three weeks later.

I've found that making a tincture with nibs gives me the best flavor . I guess if you wanted them to soak in the beer then tail end would be safe

I've found that making a tincture with nibs gives me the best flavor.

Yep, tincture is great. But tincture or no tincture, after terminal gravity, you're introducing oxygen. So again, do you think I'd be losing anything or getting a different a result if I made the addition a few points away from terminal gravity to scrub out oxygen as opposed to waiting down the line?

Yep, tincture is great. But tincture or no tincture, after terminal gravity, you're introducing oxygen. So again, do you think I'd be losing anything or getting a different a result if I made the addition a few points away from terminal gravity to scrub out oxygen as opposed to waiting down the line?

I dont think you'd loose much if you did it at the end of fermentation. You might want to putvem in a muslin bag and weigh it down. There are ways to combat o2 ingress when adding adjuncts or tinctures.

I've always added during krausen. That's what most of the recipes I've used indicate. I would think you would want them in the ferm for a while to extract the flavors.

Latest posts

Back