C02 Pressure Relief Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckmyale

Reaction score
So, I got a hand-me-down Co2 regulator. I replaced the Low Pressure gauge and High Pressure gauge.

On the regulator, I don't see an external pressure relief valve (PRV), so it is safe to assume that there is one internally to the regulator?

I know the tank has a PRV in the valve, and if the tank would get to high, that would blow, but what would cause the pressure on the Reg to skyrocket?

If the pressure on the regulator would get out of control would the low pressure gauge blow before something serious happened?

I've had this for about a year now, hooked up always thought there was an internal PRV, but curiosity is getting the best of me.

My setup is CO2 -> Regulator -> 3-way on/off manifest -> kegs

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm the most qualified person to answer your question but I know a few things that could assist you. By law (I think) all co2 tanks have a 3000 PSI PRV in case of excess pressure. The reason regulators have PRV is to protect the diaphragm from damage. In a regulator with a PRV, if the pressure were to exceed the specifications of the diaphragm the PRV would trigger and save the regulator. If your regulator doesn't have a PRV and the pressure were to exceed the specifications of the diaphragm then it would break. Now if that were to happen no gas would leave the regulator. I had a diaphragm break last year and no gas was coming out of the regulator. Also the low pressure gauge would break (thats what happened to me).

Hope this helps,
-Frozen

Back