Bye-Bye BBP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
In September 2013, I brewed a batch of Bourbon Barrel Porter. Recently, I attempted to drink one, and found it to be a "gusher." Tried two more, and got the same thing. Apparently, it wasn't finished fermenting when I bottled it, and that's the reason for the "gushers."

Yesterday morning, I heard a "crash" in my cellar where I store my beer. You guessed it...I experienced my first "bottle bomb." But under closer inspection, I had several previous "bottle bombs" for a total of eight out of a batch of fifty-two bottles. So, I carefully carried the two cases outdoors, and had a grand time popping the caps and dumping the contents.

The "bottle bomb" I heard actually was a blessing...because I also discovered that my sewer line to the city line under the street was backed up! So, my front yard will be dug up today and my sewer line replaced.

glenn514:mug:

Here, have a sad panda.
Sad_Panda_Chibi_by_mongrelssister.png

Sad to hear that. I had my first bottle bombs of my brewing reboot at the beginning of the year. Still convinced I got some sort of infection (beer tasted great when it was fresh, gravity seemed stable).
A 22 oz bottle blew up right behind me as I was cleaning up the shards from another one. Luckily there were a few six packs between me and it, because some glass got stuck in the ceiling.

You may try giving this a shot - use a church key to lightly lift the caps and vent off some of that pressure. The foam will shoot up pretty quick so at that point you let off, and the lid will reseal provided you didn't tweak the cap. Next day do the same thing. It's a PITA, but you can save your beer this way.

You may try giving this a shot - use a church key to lightly lift the caps and vent off some of that pressure. The foam will shoot up pretty quick so at that point you let off, and the lid will reseal provided you didn't tweak the cap. Next day do the same thing. It's a PITA, but you can save your beer this way.

I used this trick to save mine, worked!
So now, is this a double 'sad panda'?

Thanks for the "Sad Panda." While it was fun to watch the bottle caps fly 20-25 feet, it was sad that I had to dump a very delicious beer. I brewed it once before, and loved it.

Thanks for the "Sad Panda." While it was fun to watch the bottle caps fly 20-25 feet, it was sad that I had to dump a very delicious beer. I brewed it once before, and loved it.

It is a great beer, one of NB's best. It will age well for a couple years. Also the chocolate hazelnut porter.

Today, I bottled my third batch of NB's "Bourbon Barrel Porter." And using NB's priming sugar calculator, I used 3.1oz if sugar, rather than the 5oz that can be ordered with the kit. Therefore, I used 40% LESS priming sugar, so I'm hoping that I don't get more bottle bombs. And if the uncarbonated, unconditioned beer is any indication, this is going to be an awesome beer! The bourbon is noticeable, but not overly so. I reduced the amount of oak chips used, as well, and it tasted just about right today.

Latest posts

Back