By God, I love fermentation! (Just a joy of brewing thread)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttaylor1066

Reaction score
I don't think that brewing gets any better than the morning after brew day and the fermenter is bubbling away.

I've spent the week culturing Belgian Abbey 1214 and stepping it up for my first fall brew, a La Fin du Monde clone. To see that the yeast is healthy, viable and responding to the wort is a great moment.

I have an "observation glass" covered with cling film on the counter to monitor what might be going on in the fermenter.

To see the yeast working, well, it's almost as good as enjoying the resulting ale itself.

Agreed! I'm always a happier person when I've got some fermenting yeast in the house to keep me company! And hey, if I have three different strains munching on three different things, all the better!

:mug:

I'm only three batches in, but it is very reassuring to see a bubbling airlock the next day!

(I do like the idea of a primary window. Might be worth buying an extra lid for modding purposes...)

By any chance would you mind sharing your recipie for the La Fin clone? I have been looking for one to brew for a buddy, but to no avail. Also, extract or full mash?

Thanks,
Tim

I have a dopplebock fermenting in a dorm fridge. Every time I open the door for an inspection, the collected vapors about knock me over. Love the smell.

We bought an old breakfast nook/restaurant table and bench thing that I put in my brewing area not too long ago, and there's currently nowhere to sit because the table is full of happily bubbling fermenters. It's a nice feeling!

Go to olybrew.com it's my lhbs and there is an extract clone under the recipies tab

Jay

This is close to what I am brewing for a "Fin du Monde" extract clone. I got my recipe from "Clone Brews" by Tess and Mark Szamatulski... who just happen to be my LHBS proprietors here in CT! They are truly "Don't worry" brewers.

It's a great recipe book and I highly recommend it to home brewers.

The "Fin" recipe I am using has a good deal of lite brewing candi sugar as part of the 10 lbs. of light DME. My OG came out a little lighter than what I was expect (1.078).

This is my first time brewing this recipe so I'm not sure how close it will come to the bottled version. I can already tell the coloring will be several shades darker than what I've poured from the brewery. But that would be the fault of the brewer, not the recipe.

Their recipe for St. Bernardus Abt turned out "dead on" as to taste, although a little weak in the total ABV. That would also be the fault of the brewer, not the recipe.

Back