Buying Wyeast: How Old Is Too Old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
I picked up some ingredients from the LHBS the other day. On brew day I smacked the snack pack, shook it, and got on with brewing. At the end of the day, despite the house being 78* the pack had not inflated.

I checked the date, and it was manufactured January 5th; I bought it on July 3rd. So, how old do you feel is too old for Wyeast to be sold at full price?

Wyeast recommends using the yeast within 6 months. I would complain to your LHBS and always check the dates going forward. You can still use old yeast but a starter would help.

The Brewers Friend yeast pitch rate/starter calculator (see the Brewing Software link at the top of the page) suggests that pack had zero viability...

How Old is too old to sell at full price? Depends on what the retailer is willing to do. Some won't take the chance of alienating customers, keep an eye on the yeast in the fridge and start discounting after 4-5 months. Others couldn't care less and its up to you to look at the date.
If you make a starter, your yeast will probably be OK.

I agree with mad scientist. My LHBS gives 66% discount on expired yeast. I would pick up an extra one this way but always made a starter. If you have room in your keezer/fridge, you might want to consider just building starters and keeping them on hand for brew day. You only pitch part of the starter, then build it up for your next brew. I’ll make an IPA, then a APA, then a hoppy wheat, all from the same pack of WLP001 or WY1056. Saves money and trips to the brew store. Right now I have 3 flasks sitting in my keezer (a US ale, euro lager, and Bavarian hefe) ready to go for my next brews.

I did do a single step starter that built up some yeast. I just pitched it, so we'll see how it goes. I'm also going to shoot the LHBS an email and see whats up.

Last edited:
Back