Buying some hardware need opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
Ok guys I have already secured my 3 kegs. Im pretty sure im going to be placing an order with bargainfittings for some more stuff to get my AG setup going.

So heres what Im thinking of getting for each piece of equipment

HLT - Going to try making an E-HLT
Weldless sight gauge
Weldless bulkhead fitting
Stainless steel 1" locknut
Silicone O ring for 1" lock nut

MLT - Bottom Draining
Weldeless bulkhead fitting

Keggle
Weldless sight gauge (necessary???)
Weldless bulkhead fitting

Anything else you guys would add to this order? Is there a better place to order from that bargain fittings?

Thanks

I went with welded fittings, so I can't help you. But, if you'll do some searches, you'll see what some of the other "weldless" people are doing. If nothing else, this will give you a bump. Luck - Dwain

i found bargain fittings to be generally the cheapest...so if that fit's your criteria for best i would use them. Fast shipping too.

What are you going to use as a filter for your MLT? How about for filtering the hops in the BK?

I use a sight glass in the HLT and MLT for measuring my strike and sparge water. I don't see a need for one on the BK. Mine have an integrated fitting for a thermo probe so I know when the strike and sparge volumes are up to temp, and also for monitoring the mash temps.

Are you going to be using gravity or a pump? If a pump, I highly suggest some quick disconnect fittings. I use the brass 1/2" QDs from mcmaster. They're cheap and work great. If gravity, starting thinking about your stand design now. You're not going to want to brew w/ a 3 keg system very long if you have to do much lifting.

For the mlt I am planning on using a stainless false bottom. I am planning on place the ball valve on the flat part of the bottom of the keg. I figure this should allow the most efficient draining of the MLT.

I will probably start by using gravity but ultimately will be moving to a pump. Ultimately I was thinking of building a single tier or possible a two tier stand where the HLT and MLT are on the same level and the BK is lower.

Are the quick disconnects something that you can just screw into the ball valve or does it require doing something different to use these?

Also if you have a sight gauge in the MLT doesnt it get clogged with all the stuff from the grain?

For the mlt I am planning on using a stainless false bottom. I am planning on place the ball valve on the flat part of the bottom of the keg. I figure this should allow the most efficient draining of the MLT.
Not really, a pickup tube is just as efficient since the siphon sucks everything out. I really don't leave any wasted wort behind.

I will probably start by using gravity but ultimately will be moving to a pump. Ultimately I was thinking of building a single tier or possible a two tier stand where the HLT and MLT are on the same level and the BK is lower.
The only reason you'd want a 2 tier stand is if you want to fly sparge and only have one pump. If you batch sparge, a single pump works fine with a single tier.

Are the quick disconnects something that you can just screw into the ball valve or does it require doing something different to use these?
Yes. They've got 1/2" pipe threads.

Also if you have a sight gauge in the MLT doesnt it get clogged with all the stuff from the grain?
No. Grains don't make it up in there - on mine, anyway.

Back