Buying my first kit this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameFreac

Reaction score
So I'm buying my first kit this week. I'm gonna get a pale ale kit and an equipment kit that has the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B002BU5IF4&linkCode=as2&tag=homebrewing1-20

Fermentation Bucket
Bottling Bucket
Siphon
Bottle Filler Tubes
Bottle Brush
Thermometer
Hydrometer
Bottle Capper
Arilock
Cleaning Stuff
Malts
Hops
Yeast
Water Purity Tablets

All for around $125.

I'm just going to save some bottles from the beer I'm drinking now so I won't need to buy bottles. I will have around $75 left in my budget. I need pot/kettle since I don't have one of those. I was going to try to brew on my stove for the first time...is that recommended or is it better to brew outside? I'll probably still have enough to buy a Propane Stove but that leaves me hardly any money for a wort chiller (if it's absolutely necessary).

Am I missing anything? Should I buy the wort chiller first or the propane stove so I can brew outside? I just want to make sure I'll have everything I need.

TL;DR Do I have everything I need to brew?

It sounds like for a first time brewer, you already have more then enough kit. I'm new at brewing (well since march earlier this year). I bought a starter kit with;

Fermentation bucket with airlock
Pressure barrel with lid and tap
Jug
Sterilization solution
Stirring spoon (plastic)
A pint glass (to enjoy your first home brew )
Cloths

Then like you, I started saving beer bottles instead of buying them so I bought;

Bottle caps
Containers to clean the bottles in, in large batches (because this process is very time consuming)
Bottle capper
Bottle drainer rotational tree

I also bought a new tap for my pressure barrel with an extension on it so when you bottle it reaches down to the bottom of the bottle rather then siphoning
it. (very handy)

And I think this is about everything. I just used a normal household pot (1gal size) and I always make it in the kitchen. Clean environment etc etc. just remember clean clean clean is the key, and if you do make a bad batch, don't let that ruin your new hobbie, just crack on with it and learn. Lucky for me, I haven't had a bad batch yet.

Let me know how you get on.

You can get away without a wort chiller for now, and a turkey fryer burner. 5 Gallon SS Pots are around $35 I think. So that leaves $40 for a kit, there are plenty for below or around that price. What are you going to brew up first, any ideas??? Welcome! :)

I would buy the biggest (5 gallon), best pot you can for 75 dollars. What kind of stove? gas, electric?

Your stove will be fine for boiling two or three gallons of wort and then topping off with bottled water. Personally, I'd recommend a good chiller before you make the move outside. Also, if you're handy at all, you can make a counterflow chiller on the cheap with parts from the hardware store.

As far as boiling kettles, I got mine at a dollar store for $5.00. Holds 4 gallons, but I just brew up 2 gallons of wort in it.

Yes get a chiller. Cheap way here. Go to menards or anywere that has copper wireing buy the thinkness of copper u want and get at least 20inches of copper. Buy some clear tubing and a some hose clamps.

Go home and bend the copper to make a wort chiller for your SS kettle. Id recomend getting at least a 6 gal kettle. The homade wort chiller costed us 40 bucks. We paid 80 for the 6 gal kettle. Hope this helps. And yea u can do stove but the wife might not wanting her house to smell like wort

You can get by fine with an ice bath for now. A 4-5 gallon SS stock pot works fine on the stove,but the 4 gallon (16qt) will boil faster with 2.5 gallon partial boil. Check the grocery stores for sales on stock pots. We got 4 nested SS stock pots with lids & steamer trays at Giant eagle in Jan'11 for some $35 on sale. This would be a good time of year to find stuff like that what with garden crops ripening & needing canning,freezing,etc.

I would buy the biggest (5 gallon), best pot you can for 75 dollars. What kind of stove? gas, electric?

Pretty sure it's electric. People on beeradvocate are recommending me other kits or saying I need other stuff.

I've been researching more and found this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...arter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

http://mikesbrewreview.com/homebrewing-starter-kits-prices/

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPLETE-HOME-BREWERY-C257.aspx - this one looks like it has everything I would need but I'd still be under budget by about $40 - I could save then just get that. I have like $203 right now.

Any reviews/thoughts?

I started with the Williams kit. Good equipment and I like the valve on the fermenter. Add a pot and bottles and u r ready to brew.

Best deal is the Midwest supplies groupon if it comes available again.

I think the Williams Brewing kit looks the most complete. What is your maximum budget? If you can, I would get a bigger kettle (8-10 gallon) so you can do full boils. This also means getting a dedicated burner. I bought the Bayou Classic SQ-14 from Amazon when I got started (link). Only $50.

If I were to do it over, I would get the cheapest starter kit, and add the Bayou burner and a 10 gallon bucket. For the wort chiller, either make your own or wait and get it later. Totally understandable if you can't swing the price of a bigger kettle, but I think that is one thing I'll try to upgrade ASAP in my setup.

For the fermentation stage, many of 'us noobs' just do a swamp cooler and use a rope handled tub from Wally World (about $10) filled with chilled water. I do this, but plan on seeing if I can score a used mini fridge or small chest freezer in Craigslist.

Good luck and Happy Brewing! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with the Williams kit. Good equipment and I like the valve on the fermenter. Add a pot and bottles and u r ready to brew.

Best deal is the Midwest supplies groupon if it comes available again.

Looks like it comes with a 40 quart pot so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

I think the Williams Brewing kit looks the most complete. What is your maximum budget?

Like I said I have $203 right now but just realized I had like $6 in my paypal and am trying to sell some stuff right now to be able to get more money and get that Williams kit maybe. Not sure yet...waiting on more opinions.

FYI. Here in Alabama, we have a store, Old Time Pottery which has a 20 qt. SS pot for $15. I know it's thin and cheap but it worked perfectly on my first two brews.

Like I said I have $203 right now but just realized I had like $6 in my paypal and am trying to sell some stuff right now to be able to get more money and get that Williams kit maybe. Not sure yet...waiting on more opinions.

Here's what I have in mine:

NB Basic Starter Kit w/ American Wheat recipe - $102.98
5 Gallon SS Kettle - $37.99
Wort Chiller - $69.99
Faucet adapter - $4.99

total (after NB's $7.99 shipping cost) $223.94

added the Bayou Classic SQ-14 burner $49.97

total- $273.91

If you do away with the wort chiller and faucet adapter (you could always get that later), that price would be $198.93.

I am selling some stuff tomorrow and borrowing $10 from my friend so I'll have enough to get the Williams Kit. So excited to start brewing.

I just have to say I love the frugal and sensible attitude. Many people dive way in and spend a grand before they know what hit them - like me! ;)

I am selling some stuff tomorrow and borrowing $10 from my friend so I'll have enough to get the Williams Kit. So excited to start brewing.

Good to hear. That first brew is going to be your "worst" one (the time between Brew day and drink day). I've made myself follow the recipe instruction to a T and the wait is killing me! Next week, I should be able to start sampling my creation. I'm so glad I went with a quick turnaround recipe as my first brew. I couldn't imagine going with something that takes 2-3 months to make.

If you're going all grain which it sounds like you are you can do it on the stove top. Hell even two pots if needed and split the batch by adding all of your wort to a fermenter and then splitting that between the smaller pots. This way you get an even blend of your wort after sparging. If you want look at Craigtube's all grain video. He does it this way and it works very well for me as well since this is where I went when starting all grain. He is very helpful and his methods make sense.

Back