buying / growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I want to start growing hops. Does anyone have good tips on where to purchase seeds and or potted plants. Also any tips on proper care for these plants is also appreciated.
I'm looking for a place with a large variety.

Freshops.com has a nice selection too and my magnum vine produced in the first season!

Lots of sun and lots of water with plenty of vertical climbing room

I thought about trying to grow my own hops. I'm not sure how central texas weather would be for them and the yield. It might end up being a lot of headache for very little gain (or a loss). Anyone got a testimonial?

This should be in the "hops growing" forum...check it out.
None the less...yes, most HBS will sell rhizomes come late Winter/Spring.
Keep an eye out for them.
Plant them in a sunny area, make sure they have something to climb on, and they will grow like weeds....seriously.
You'll have enought cones in the second year for a batch or more.
After that, you won't be able to keep then from expanding into the lawn and other areas.

I have been looking into multiple hops to grow for the first time this year. I have an interest in cascade particularly. Any clue or guess on average yield if it has a decent growth and no issues for this year? I live on long island which is a moderate climate most of the year.

There is a store on ebay that is selling the whole hop crowns vs. rhizomes. Seems like these would be the best way to help "guarantee" success as it is an actual plant vs part of a root system. They are only 10.00 per so its not terribly more expensive.

A crown will certainly improve your chances of a first year crop, after than it doesn't matter.

Blain - your biggest worry will be hot, dry winds. Hop plants can turn to toast in a day.

I got most of my rhizomes from Dave at freshops.com

Ok, so.. Say I get a few plants started.. How do start my own strain? Or am I just getting ahead of myself?
What I really like is the hop called "pilot"
I can't seem to find it anywhere.. I used it about 6 months ago in a kolsch.. By far one of the best hops I've used.

Making your own strain takes either chance and time for species to mingle and cross, or some botany skills

Beyond my skill set for sure, but I don't know where you are in that regard

Latest posts

Back