Buying Bulk Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone sure dutch gold is high quality (i.e. not adulterated)? I find it hard to believe with their prices. I've used their stuff, and I enjoy it, but I just wonder...

I thought it was heat-pasteurized, but now I can't find anything about on their site.

Is anyone sure dutch gold is high quality (i.e. not adulterated)? I find it hard to believe with their prices. I've used their stuff, and I enjoy it, but I just wonder...
from the company (added emphasis is mine):

TO: sweetcell
RE: Ask the Expert Inquiry
DATE: 10/28/13

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your question.

For over 65 years Dutch Gold is a still family owned and operated company. Dutch Gold purchases honey from beekeepers throughout the US, Canada and other countries.

Dutch Gold does not sell raw honey but filters all raw honey to remove pieces of bee parts, beeswax and other materials that would be visible to the human eye, such as dust and pollen, from the honey prior to packaging. The absence of pollen does not indicate the product is no longer honey. Dutch Gold Honey is 100% pure; all-natural Grade A Honey.

Our processing steps do include a flash heating step (to 185 degrees F) for five minutes; force pressed through paper filters then the honey is quickly cooled and packaged. This step does significantly reduce microbiological activity and retards the rate of honey&#8217;s natural tendency to crystallize.

Quality and purity are very instrumental to Dutch Gold. Nothing is added to our honey; it is 100% pure. The raw honey we purchase is tested for purity and residues and must pass all our stringent quality requirements before it is accepted for use. We will not compromise our reputation or our quality. Please enjoy Dutch Gold Honey with confidence.

I have attached a brochure we put together which includes a press release about nutrition and heating honey from the National Honey Board that I thought you might enjoy reading.

Best regards,

Monika Edwards
Administrative Assistant/Customer Service
Dutch Gold Honey
2220 Dutch Gold Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601
717-393-1716 x135
717-393-0398

[email protected]
www.dutchgoldhoney.com

I'll sell you a 55gal barrel of honey at 2.10 per pound. Might be too much honey for you though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haha!! I don't make it to GA more than a few times a year. Actually we winter our bees in South Georgia. My uncle is down there right now delivering 60 barrels of our honey to a bottler in North Georgia. You'll have to come to Michigan for that offer. Or pay freight. Haha!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I could make that trip sometime for that price on honey. I travel to Detroit, Manistee, all over Michigan for work.

Yeah 55 gallons is a lot. Weighs right around 700 pounds usually. If you are ever in Mid-michigan, Mt Pleasant area, let me know and I can bottle up some 5lb jugs for you for 15 bucks each. That's our retail price on those. Pure Michigan honey. Way better than the crap you can buy at Walmart.

Champion! Man I need to find some local bee keepers, I don't even care if they charge the same or a little more than walmart, I'd just love some quality unfiltered stuff!

Just going out and start keeping honey bees. I have 2 hive in my back yard. I only use my honey for making beer and mead. 2 great hobbies to get into. I love my bees.

You know heating the honey drives off volatiles that are beneficial. But then running it through the filters to strip put the pollen make it impossible to track where the honey comes from. So that honey very well could be from china.

I definitely don't like that Dutch Gold filters out pollen. First of all, pollen is good for you. Secondly, if there is no pollen it's impossible to trace. Most likely it is coming from overseas. A bottler here in Michigan got hit with a huge fine for buying honey from overseas, filtering out the pollen, and selling it as US honey. The fine was in the millions. We run our honey through a filter that is similar to cheesecloth. Just gets wax pieces out. We heat it only to 120 so it will run through that filter. I believe that's still legally raw, although we don't market our honey as raw. As some people have said, one of the best ways to get honey for beer and mead is by having a couple beehives of your own. Try to find a local beek that will sell you a couple. The companies selling them are usually WAY overpricing. I've seen beeks selling hives for 150 bucks or less. A couple of them should get you 100 lbs or so of you take good care of them. Just don't ask me about buying hives haha! We don't sell any. But some beeks do.

I definitely don't like that Dutch Gold filters out pollen. First of all, pollen is good for you. Secondly, if there is no pollen it's impossible to trace. Most likely it is coming from overseas. A bottler here in Michigan got hit with a huge fine for buying honey from overseas, filtering out the pollen, and selling it as US honey. The fine was in the millions. We run our honey through a filter that is similar to cheesecloth. Just gets wax pieces out. We heat it only to 120 so it will run through that filter. I believe that's still legally raw, although we don't market our honey as raw. As some people have said, one of the best ways to get honey for beer and mead is by having a couple beehives of your own. Try to find a local beek that will sell you a couple. The companies selling them are usually WAY overpricing. I've seen beeks selling hives for 150 bucks or less. A couple of them should get you 100 lbs or so of you take good care of them. Just don't ask me about buying hives haha! We don't sell any. But some beeks do.

Most states require licensing to keep bees. It's not always as simple as just buying hives and bees. Although I wish it were.

Well it's never that simple of course. I guess I didn't think about that. I live way out in the boondocks. We do pretty much what we want.

Well it's never that simple of course. I guess I didn't think about that. I live way out in the boondocks. We do pretty much what we want.

Well when you put it that way, maybe I should just get a hive for the hell of it.

F*ck the system!! :rockin:

Back