Buying a new Kettle...Is Bigger Always Better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
I'm doing BIABs right now and am going to buy a new kettle. Bayou Classic 82 or 62qt, both have the inner ss baskets.
Basically the same price, the 82qt actually a couple bucks less and local pickup.
My hesitation is that I still am doing predominately 5 gal. batches.
Is the 82 qt just too damn big for 5 gal. batches? Damn thing is huge lookin'.

Anyway, probably overthinking it.
:drunk:

uh, 82 qts sounds like it equals more than 20 gallons. :D

if you can use it, then, great. if not, then don't.

HOWEVER, if it's the same burner stand, and it will fit a keg on it somehow, then get the cheaper one.

And I've heard...'That's just too big for this application'...but we're talking bout a kettle.
ha

uh, 82 qts sounds like it equals more than 20 gallons. :D

if you can use it, then, great. if not, then don't.

HOWEVER, if it's the same burner stand, and it will fit a keg on it somehow, then get the cheaper one.

I'm not really sure what that last sentence means:drunk:

I guess the question is do you have aspirations to brew bigger batches? I have two 20 gallon kettles and they are big! So big I havent even used them yet...hah. I do 1/4 keg 7 gal batches and use an 11 gal ss and a 15 gal alum. IMO it's kinda like the three bears...find the one that fits just right.

While i'm sure you could do a 5 gal batch in a 20 gallon kettle, it might just be a stain in the bottom at the end of the boil:mug:

At this point, I can see doing some 10 gal batches, but they're fine in 15.5 gal kettles, right?
What happened is that I saw the 82qt in a store while shopping for grill stuff and just glanced at it briefly. It was mis-tagged as a 62qt kettle for $139. A week later I decided I was going to buy it, so I called to verify and 2 salesmen verified that it was a ss 62 qt kettle. Well...it just so happened that I received a Groupon or local version of it that day for a $30 credit at this store for $15. So, I took that to the store where the manager quickly corrected his people and said it was 82 qt and $169. With the $30 off I already have, I'm looking at $146.99 with tax.
The cheapest I can now find the 62 qt is straight from the manufacturer for $148 and change w/ shipping.
So, there's the dilemma, as I am trying to justify NOT getting the larger one, really.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent so early in the morning...think I'll go listen to my blueberry Apfelwein bubblin away for a couple minutes...ahhh...very soothing if not for the rhino fart smell;^)

Back