Buying a brew kettle for all grain batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xurgee

Reaction score
I am in the market for a brew kettle for all grain batches. I want the capability to do ten gallon batches but I plan on 5-6 gallon batches primarily. I will spend money to get something that will last.

Suggestions please.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you are a DIYer, this kettle is a great place to start and you can get weldless fittings from Brew Hardware or Bargain Fittings. I have that kettle, and it is rock-solid for just over $100 shipped. If you don't want to do the drilling/mounting, Spike makes good kettles with welded bulkheads.

Recommend 20 gallon if doing 10 gal AG brews.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered a Spike Kettle. Been wanting one since the new line came out. There are more than a few discussions in the first 5 pages. Search a bit. But a 15gal spike would do the job nicely. And you won't regret a quality piece if you continue to advance.

I wouldn't be opposed to the drilling and mounting. Is it pretty straight forward or would I need specialized tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You'll need a step bit for drilling and some oil to lubricate while drilling. Not too hard but time consuming because, depending on the gauge, you'll have to go slow and take your time. I did it once with an economy kettle and from then on, just decided to pay extra for one that's ready to go. Good kettles range from Bayou Classics to Stouts. The Megapot 1.2's are pretty nice if you don't care about welded vs non-welded valves.

Couldn't recommend the Blichman 20g kettle enough. Bought it to do propane fired AG brewing and after a while converted it for indoor all-electric. You spend a little more, but it's solid, so no regrets..

I do mostly 10-12g batches and sometimes do 5.6g batches. Works well for both.

Oh forgot, someone on here just purchased the SS brewing kettle and seemed to really like it. I bought myself the Bru-Gear stuff and am happy with it so far. They're pretty much the same mass produced tri-clad kettles just with each company's individual logos and differences in welded/non-welded/silicone handles/tri-clover/NPT fittings.

If you are a DIYer, this kettle is a great place to start and you can get weldless fittings from Brew Hardware or Bargain Fittings. I have that kettle, and it is rock-solid for just over $100 shipped. If you don't want to do the drilling/mounting, Spike makes good kettles with welded bulkheads.

Recommend 20 gallon if doing 10 gal AG brews.

I would also recommend the concord. I have one and love it. You can easily add weldless fittings if you choose to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back