Buy a kegerator, or build a keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Reaction score
I'm looking at either buying a dual tap kegerator or building a smaller keezer. What would you recommend, and why?

A couple factors:
  • My current spare fridge can't fit anything larger than 2.5 gallon kegs (height restricted).
  • I don't *plan* on running more than 2 drinks simultaneously. Most likely just a beer and a cider. While that would be great for a dual tap kegerator, I may end up needing more room down the road.
  • My living arrangements are temporary, as I will hopefully be moving before the end of next year. Same area, different house.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the kegerator for now. It'll be smaller, more maneuverable, and a heck of a lot less time required in the building phase. Its a little bit on the pricey side, but by the time I finished a nice keezer build, I'd probably surpass it. On the other hand, I really like some of the keezer builds I've seen, making a kegerator look like childs-play. I realize I've pretty much answered my initial question over the course of typing this post, but I'd still greatly appreciate any advice leaning towards either option.

I built a keezer, so I might be more inclined to steer you that way. It is really up to you and it does sound like the kegerator would be what you need.

Building a kegerator is easy. I got my fridge for $80 on Craigslist (only because I wanted an apartment size to fit behind the bar). My fermentation fridge was only $40.

I'd suggest you look into that route.

Keezers are really not hard to build. You need the following items for the basics:
1. freezer/fridge
2. temperature control to override the freezer or fridge
3. taps, shanks, beer hose and keg connectors or a beer tower in which case you would not need the shanks.
4. CO2 cylinder, regulator, gas hose, connectors

That is the basic stuff for a kegerator or keezer that does not have to be so pretty. If you want to display it in a prominent place, you will probably want to build a cabinet around it. Then you'll need to figure out what style you want, make plans, buy the materials and construct it.

Now for me, that was all part of the fun. But, I could have gone to my big box store of choice and bought one with everything needed except for the filled cylinder and of course the beer for less money than I spent on my diy keezer that can hold 4 kegs. If you'd rather not spend valuable time building it, then I agree that buying a kegerator is the way to go.

Back