Buttery mead???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalfrune

Reaction score
Just curious, but has anyone ever heard of a buttery mead??? I'm looking for something that has a slight buttery taste??? But I've never heard of anything like this....

If you know of any. Please share!!!

Maybe add butterscotch syrup when back-sweetening?

I'm adding this to my list of future experiments.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Ferment an orange blossom mead with Wyeast Dry Mead and it comes out very buttery. Be sure to add potassium bicarbonate and nutrients though! Otherwise this yeast will get stuck!

This is a recipe adapted from a buttery Chardonnay recipe

1 gallon

2lb honey
1 11.5oz can of Welche's white grape frozen concentrate
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
Water to one gallon
Yeast (Wyeast 4767 port wine)
1/2 tsp potassium sorbate
1 crushed Camden tablet
1tsp malic acid
1/4 tsp wine tannin
Malo-lactic culture (Wyeast 4007 Malo-Lactic culture)

Mix the honey, white grape concentrate and nutrients. Top up with water to one gallon. Original gravity should be about 1.090. Prepare yeast per package directions and pitch yeast. Monitor closely every day. As soon as you notice the gravity hits 1.000 rack to a new bottle and cold crash the mead and keep it below 55*F. Also add in Camden and sorbate. After 1 week and kept cool you should be able to rack off another bed of lees. Now add in tannin, malic acid and prepare and pitch Malo-lactic culture per package directions. Keep at room temp for one week. Then cool back down to 55*F and allow to clear. Once crystal clear rack off of any sediment. Should be able to bottle by this point and all done.

The point of this recipe is to produce as much diacetyl as possible and preserve it. During prinary fermentation a natural by-product of yeast fermentation is diacetyl. After primary fermentation you keep the mead cool because warm temps and the presence of active yeast break down diacetyl because yeast can now use that instead of sugars to make some amino acids. The Malo-Lactic fermentation produces more diacetyl while changing the malic acid into lactic acid. This should be a dry buttery mead with slight fruity/vanilla like notes. A good raw wildflower honey would be good for this.

Just curious, but has anyone ever heard of a buttery mead??? I'm looking for something that has a slight buttery taste??? But I've never heard of anything like this....

If you know of any. Please share!!!

Keep it simple and just use Lalvin CY3079. Imparts a nice chardonnay like buttery taste and aroma. Gives the mead a velvety mouthfeel as well. Slow to start, and slow to clear, but very cool yeast strain.

15 lbs honey for a standard 5-gallon batch
4g grape tannin (optional)
10g of CY3079

Add in your standard staggered nutrient additions as normal but, a little extra nitrogen from DAP or Fermaid-K/O will help keep this yeast moving.

I cannot wait to start this!!!! Due to unforeseen repairs on my car, I've pushed back starting some... But ultimately, my goal is to brew 4 batches.... One after another after another after another.... I have 26 cases of bottles all clean and ready... So I'm anxious to get some mead up and running!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I cannot wait to start this!!!! Due to unforeseen repairs on my car, I've pushed back starting some... But ultimately, my goal is to brew 4 batches.... One after another after another after another.... I have 26 cases of bottles all clean and ready... So I'm anxious to get some mead up and running!!!!
That's a lot of bottles. I've got about 400 or so down my shed waiting to be sanitised and filled, but I'm hanging it out as long as I can get away with, not to have to do the bottling run.........

Few little experiments to try first..... I know I'll have to take the plunge eventually...........:D

Latest posts

Back