Burnt Toast Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdellarocca

Reaction score
For images please visit: http://pdellarocca.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/burnt-toast-brown-ale/

9lbs Maris Otter
2.5 lbs Crystal (60L)
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 oz East Kent Golding (60 mins)
1 oz East Kent Golding (5 Mins)
1 Packet of Safale S-04

Strike 170
Mash 152

OG 1.044
FG 1.008
ABV 4.7%
IBU: 24
SRM 31.02

Tasting Notes:

The first time I tasted the beer was one week into bottling. It was a little sweet but it definitely had a bready taste. A week or so later the sweetness subsided and we were left with a very dry beer (which is what was intended). It still has a taste and aroma of bread. To me, the aroma and flavor reminded me much of the crusts from the type of multi-grain bread with seeds on it. It seems odd but it does seem reminiscent of that. There are also hints of toffee on the finish. I do like the flavor over all but next time around we may use a pound of Vienna to give it a nuttier flavor and a quarter pound of roasted barley (as the bread-ness is a little overpowering). Also I think we will go with .5 lbs of Crystal 120 rather than the Crystal 80 that we used this time.

powdered_toast_man.jpg

Back