Burnt mead - fermentation trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I tried my hand at a batch of burnt mead on the 27th. I boiled the honey, then mixed in cold distilled water, CaCl, and some yeast nutrient, stirred everything vigorously, and racked it to the carboy. Gravity was 1.101. Once it cooled down to about 70 degrees, I rehydrated and pitched 3 sachets of EC-1118 and sloshed the carboy around for a few minutes to aerate. Nothing happened: no foam, no airlock activity, nada. I took a gravity reading on the 31st, and it hadn't dropped at all. I hit it with a 60 second burst of O2, in case the initial aeration was insufficient.

As of the 2nd, there still wasn't any activity, so I decided to repitch. I was out of EC-1118 and wasn't going to have a chance to pick up any more for a few days, so I pitched 2 sachets of KV-1116 and crossed my fingers. Now I'm getting an airlock bubble every 6-8 seconds and no foam, but at least it's something. I added another dose of yeast nutrient yesterday morning. I haven't taken another gravity reading yet (SWMBO accidentally broke my hydrometer), so I don't know how quickly it's falling.

I'm assuming there isn't much I can do for this batch, other than to let it ride and hope for the best, but I'd love to know why it's given me so much trouble. I've been brewing beer for a couple of years, and this is my third batch of mead; I've never had this much trouble getting a fermentation to start.

If you see the bubbles, that means its fermenting. If I remember, by bochet was a very low foam experience over all. Best thing you can do is get another Hydrometer and take a reading.

CaCl, calcium chloride? Dont most people use Calcium Carbonate? Maybe the chloride screwed it up? You also really shouldnt need to add more than one pack of yeast at a time, if you proof it by making a starter from 1 pack you will know with absolute certainty that your yeast is alive and well. How much did you cook your honey? Did you go black or just deep red? WVMJ

Latest posts

Back