"Burnt" Honey in a Milk Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
Has anyone burned honey similar to how you make a bochet, and added it to a stout? Ive read it would add sweetness and body, since the sugars caramelize don't ferment as easily.

I accidentally made some burnt maple syrup this spring and planned to add it to a stout, but have not done so yet. I did get to try a Brochet 2 weeks ago and was not a fan. I think it would make a fine addition to a beer with some other flavors, especially some roasted flavors, but by itself, it was sweet and had an odd taste that I didn't care for in excess.

I think it's true that when you cook a honey or maple syrup to a certain point some of the sugars become unfermentable. I don't think there are a lot of resources out there on this particular subject. It might be worth experimenting with 1 gallon batches and writing up an article about it. I bet BYO, Zymurgy, or maybe even HBT could appreciate that kind of thing.

I did it in a Old Ale a couple of months ago. Heres the thread I started on it... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/old-ale-caramelized-honey-bochet-455648/

Its good, but very strong and still boozy. I got real good efficiency this batch and my numbers were 1.087 to 1.012. Im thinking I need to let this sit until late fall. I dont get a real bochet flavor out it now.

If you do go through with it be careful with the honey. It makes sense to try to carmelize in your brew kettle because it is a real ***** to transfer. I burned the honey during the mash and unloaded the tun right on top. I had to stir the honey with a spatula the whole time of the sparge to get the burnt honey into solution with my first runnings.

If youre only doing a pound or two it will carmelize quicky. Mine stated to smoke and darken after 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the responses. I actually really like the idea of burnt maple syrup, I think I will do two 3 gallon test batches. One with 12oz burnt honey and one with 12oz grade B maple syrup.

Thanks for the hyperlink to that thread and your experience, It's really good information. How dark did you get the honey? Was it to black?

The honey just started to go black when I pulled it off. I cant really get the flavor yet, but I think I could have gone darker.

Alright, my plan was to get it to black. I've got the grains coming in the mail, so I'll be brewing when I get them. I'll make a 5 gallon and split it to two 3 gallon carboys. One with burnt maple syrup and one with burnt honey.

So I got the malt and will be starting this sometime this week. The recipe will be as followed-

Extract (5.00 gal) ABV: 5.64 %
OG: 1.053 SG FG: 1.010 SG
IBUs: 25.2 IBUs Color: 31.0 SRM
Ingredients

12.0 oz - Chocolate Malt
Steep prior to boil (8.2%) - 350.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Munich Malt - 10L
Steep prior to boil (5.5%) - 10.0 SRM

4.0 oz - Black (Patent) Malt
Steep prior to boil (2.7%) - 500.0 SRM

6 lb 9.6 oz - Light Malt Extract
Boil (72.5%) - 10.0 SRM

1 lb - Milk Sugar (Lactose)
Boil (11.0%) - 0.0 SRM

1.00 oz - Nugget
Boil 60 min (25.2 IBUs)

1 pkg - Nottingham Yeast

I'll split the batch and add burnt honey to one and burnt maple syrup to the other.

Also interested on how this turns out as I was thinking of trying burnt honey in a Chocolate Stout. Please update with tasting notes!

It's still bubbling away in the fermenters, wasn't able to get this started until 2 days ago. When it's finished I'll try to give tasting notes as best I can describe

I tried one of mine last night, the boozy flavor has mellowed out and the burnt honey is starting to come through. It's got that burnt marshmallow taste I was looking for. I'm looking forward to winter. I'm interested in how this plays in a lower abv.

Back