Burnham's Courage Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
My labels, my own photos:

super-stout.jpg

141-West-Jackson.jpg

chicago-ipa.jpg

really like the simplistic labels and the photos are top notch..

Sooo since everyone else is wondering and afraid to ask.. Is that you as superman? :) You said they were your own photos.

Damn classy looking labels! The photos, colors, and typography all go together really well.

Sooo since everyone else is wondering and afraid to ask.. Is that you as superman? :) You said they were your own photos.

LOL!

No. It's a guy who puts on Superman costume for our town's Fourth of July parade. He's (apparently) not affiliated with anything (marching band, scout troop, politician, etc.) but just likes marching in the parade. The kids of course love it -- and he takes it all very seriously.

Last year, there was a lull in the action, and I just stepped out in the middle of the street with my toy camera (a Holga 120mm) and lifted it to my eye to frame the shot. Superman saw me, stopped, and did a super pose. I snapped the shot, thanked him, and then he disappeared back in the parade.

Anyway, at the end of the summer last year I made an Imperial Stout (which aged well through this past winter) and I remembered his photograph for the label.

satans-hoof.jpg

lol great story. the blurriness of the first one made me think it was older.

very classic looking labels though. Are you using photoshop to make the images black and white?

I also like the 41 kodak at top of the Satans hoof. just adds to the photo. keep up the great work

lol great story. the blurriness of the first one made me think it was older.

very classic looking labels though. Are you using photoshop to make the images black and white?

I also like the 41 kodak at top of the Satans hoof. just adds to the photo. keep up the great work

The Super Stout is a straight scan of the negative out of the camera. The Holga has a crappy plastic lens which makes for interesting -- strange -- photographs. I adjusted the levels with Photoshop -- but the image you see is the image from the camera.

Ditto for the Satan's Hoof image. It's a straight scan of a negative from the Holga. I took it a few years ago around noon as I was walking across one of the bridges across the Chicago river. For both shots, I used Kodak Tri-X b&w film and developed it myself in Rodinal -- an old developer that's been around for many, many years. Rodinal tends to emphasize the grain of the image -- so it works well with the weird Hoga imagery.

The wheat and chicago IPA labels are from my iPhone. I'm using an app called 'Lo-mob' from the iTunes store which can apply some interesting filters to an image. No Photoshop with those -- Lo-Mob only. Then I saved the iPhone jpegs to my computer for adding the text (which I did in Photoshop). For the font, I'm using Museo Sans -- a great looking (free!) font that I really, really like. It's very sleek and contemporary -- sort of an updated Helvetica.

I LOL'd on the superman label. I like 'em all, but I think your brewery name should use a larger font. I'm guessing you're wanting it to be sort of understated, but IMHO I really think a couple more point sizes would help considerably. Regards, GF.

Everything is first rate! I love your brewery name and the labels look like an urban version of the Smuttynose labels (which is a very good thing!).

Label for a beer I made a few days ago. It blew off the air-lock last night (OG 1.079) and erupted. I had to use a blow-off tube this morning. Amazing to see. Using Wyeast Trappist High Gravity. It was a pretty basic recipe: 12 pounds pilsner, 1/2 pound Caramel Pils, 1 pound candi sugar in the boil. Mashed around 152F. In a couple days I'll add another 1/2 pound sugar to the fermenter to (I hope) dry it out a bit more.

belgian_cowboy.jpg

A very professional, fifties, new wave, holga, old school feel. There is a bit of a book cover feel to them (in a good way). When do we get some pin hole camera photos?

Pin hole photos!

Great idea. Gotta work on that one. Over the past year, the beer gear has overtaken my darkroom. I gotta research making a good pinhole. Maybe a pinhole Holga?

Back