Burner Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

After scouring the web looking for answers and potential solutions and not finding much, I figured I would start a thread and try to get some help for myself and maybe others.

I attempted to start my brew day this morning to use up the last pack of yeast I had in my fridge after a short 2-month hiatus. I say attempted because the brew day ended before it could start. When I went to fire up my Blichmann Hell Fire, I found that it just wouldn't. I hooked it up to a full, unused propane tank that I had purchased from the grocery store this summer. There didn't appear to be any gas flow because I couldn't smell the propane and I couldn't hear the sound that the burner normally makes as gas is being dispensed, even in the highest setting of the regulator. I followed on-line instructions to bleed the propane tank for about 2 minutes to release pressure and then checked for leaks in the regulator and hose. Nothing and nothing.

I'm stomped. Can anyone share advice?

Cheers,

Can you try the tank on a grille? Just to Isolate if it is the tank or the burner that is failing. If it's tank that's obvious get a new on if the burner check the line for clogs I have found spiders in mine before I used my dip tube brush to rectify that's all I can offer

Can you try the tank on a grille? Just to Isolate if it is the tank or the burner that is failing. If it's tank that's obvious get a new on if the burner check the line for clogs I have found spiders in mine before I used my dip tube brush to rectify that's all I can offer
I don't have a grill unfortunately. I'll take a look at the line... perhaps you're right and something got in there. I should mention that I live in Lake Louise, Alberta. We are at about 5,000 feet above sea level and the temperatures can get down to the -20C and lower. I read that low temps prevent propane from gasifying and lower pressure... however, that's at around -44F/C, so I don't know why that would be the problem...

If you're using the original regulator supplied with the Hellfire burner, it has an "ACME" tank coupling nut, and inside that plastic nut there is an Excess Flow Preventor valve which can get tripped and shut off the gas flow if the regulator is not fully closed before opening the cylinder valve.

Cheers!

If you're using the original regulator supplied with the Hellfire burner, it has an "ACME" tank coupling nut, and inside that plastic nut there is an Excess Flow Preventor valve which can get tripped and shut off the gas flow if the regulator is not fully closed before opening the cylinder valve.

Cheers!
Wow. Great info! It is the original regulator. How do I fix it then?

First, avoid it happening. Always fully close the regulator knob before opening the cylinder valve - and do that part s l o w l y as to "gently" equalize the pressure through the EFP. Once you have the cylinder valve open then open the regulator knob. It should be audibly obvious if gas is flowing at that point.

If the EFP has triggered and starved the burner for fuel, close the cylinder valve, then close the regulator, and start over as above...

Cheers!

First, avoid it happening. Always fully close the regulator knob before opening the cylinder valve - and do that part s l o w l y as to "gently" equalize the pressure through the EFP. Once you have the cylinder valve open then open the regulator knob. It should be audibly obvious if gas is flowing at that point.

If the EFP has triggered and starved the burner for fuel, close the cylinder valve, then close the regulator, and start over as above...

Cheers!
perfect. Thanks you

Cross-section of an ACME nut showing the spring-loaded EFP valve...

LP-Type-I-Excess-Flow-Cutaway-Plunger.jpg

I've actually heard a "ping" when I've triggered an EFP...

Cheers!

Back