Burner issues???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Did my first AG brew this evening and everything seemed to go off without a hitch with the exception of my burner. I have a "Bayou Classic" 130,000 BTU burner that scorched the crap out of the pot. I can't get a clean flame with this thing. It's a dirty sooty mess. Anybody know how to remedy this? It was missing the oxygen regulator plate so i improvised with metal tape but i would'nt think that would cause this problem. Is'nt propane supposed to be a clean burning fuel??

Thanks,
Al

I'm sure you played with the air adjustment and could not fix the problem that way. Try raising the pot. I had the same problem and added some cross bars to raise up the pot. I think what happens is that it causes back pressure and the jet effect does not happen and so it flows less air and too much propane. I was reluctant to try raising the pot because I reasoned that the design was supposed to be correct but they do not know how big the pot you are using and that makes a difference. It sure sucks having to modify it though. TIP: Temporarily raise the pot with a BBQ grille and some cement blocks positioned outside the burner to hold it up.

Thanks for the replies. THe burner would not light at all without the tape but I will monkey with it when they send the right part. I'll also try raising it if I can find something that will work. How about raising it up on a few bricks, they might channel the flame and also radiate heat. Would'nt that work?

Thanks again,
Al

i had the same problem with my burner and finally figured out that the air adjustment had to be wide open. yellow flame = loads of black soot. blue flame = nice and clean.

i had the same problem with my burner and finally figured out that the air adjustment had to be wide open. yellow flame = loads of black soot. blue flame = nice and clean.

Yeah I got the right part yesterday and tried it out and it worked great. If mine was completely open, it would not even light. Working great now and its a good thing because that first one was a sooty mess.

Regards,
Al

Back