Bulk hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhoffman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to hear your thoughts on the best sources of bulk Hops (by the pound).

I have been brewing for a year and a half and have been purchasing my Hops from my local homebrew shop, but the cost of Hops really stands out in my budget.

I saw online a few sites that sell Hops by the pound, does anybody have suggestions and/or experience with any of them?

TIA!

+1 for Nikobrew. Ordered from them before. Shipped quickly and in great packaging.
I've also ordered from LabelPeelers. Same experience.

I'm with you. Hops are way cheaper in bulk. My only problem is, which hops do buy? I'm still learning what I like so it's hard to decide what hops I need lbs of.

I also like Farmhouse brewing. I love their 4 oz. packs. I almost always use more than one ounce in a recipe so they fit well.

Hop Shack is another I have used.

Yakima Valley is my source often. I did order from Label Peelers, pre-ordered Citra and Mosaic and received them in 2 weeks. Unfortunately others waited months, so it's hard to say what their standard is but my experience was great.

I also like Farmhouse brewing. I love their 4 oz. packs. I almost always use more than one ounce in a recipe so they fit well.

Hop Shack is another I have used.

The 4 oz packages are what I normally buy. When I order I buy 5 or 6 different types so I always have options of what to brew next.

This was my last order.
Farmhouse Brewing Supply - Order #7160

Your order details are shown below.

Order Date: 9th Sep 2014 @ 12:34 AM
Order Total: $60.78 USD
Order #7160 Contained the Following Items:
Item Details Price
Subtotal: $50.79
Shipping: $9.99
Grand Total: $60.78
1 x Amarillo 4/oz - 2013
$6.20
1 x Cascade 4/oz- 2013
$3.80
1 x Magnum (Ger.) 4/oz - 2013
$4.00
1 x Northern Brewer (Ger) 4/oz - 2013
$3.80
1 x Tettnanger 4/oz (U.S.) - 2013
$4.00
1 x Star San 32/OZ
$17.99
1 x Centennial 4/oz - 2013
$5.00
1 x Simcoe 4/oz - 2013

I have also bought from nikobrew, their flat rate shipping is nice when buying several pounds. I also buy a fair amount of hops from ritebrew.

+1 for Nikobrew and Farmhouse, I ordered my entire years supply last year from these 2 exclusively. Both have great selections, prices, and pretty fast delivery.

I always have bought from hopsdirect, usually pairing up with friends to save on shipping. Their pricing is pretty good but they don't carry some varieties I'd like. One of my friends for very well buying from eBay. I'll probably be placing my next order there.

Placed my first order from Yakima Valley Hops last Tuesday & the package arrived Friday. The order shipped the same day I ordered them. Not too bad for shipping from the Northwest to the Southeast. Will definitely use them again.

I've been buying my hops in bulk for a couple of years now. But I'm not sure if I'm really saving any money. When it's time to buy the new year's crop, I still have have of last year's left. This year, I'm going to buy fewer varieties and probably just 8 ounces of most of them.

Just make sure you have a good way to store them! Doesn't make sense to buy bulk and not store them properly. I like to use mason jars with a vacuum sealer.

Anyone notice the change in availability of imported hops ?
- Tettnanger no 2014 yet.
- Fuggles only 2013

bought pounds last few years, now it seems I can't even find what I want in stock.

Back