Bulk Aging Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeMerchant

Reaction score
So I made a 15gal batch of lambic, split between 3 carboys. For one I used WLP655, for the other two I used US-05 and some dregs. I want to combine them into a 15gal carboy to bulk age (it looks pretty and can go in my living room to show off something cool) but I don't want the WLP655 to just take over.

I'm going to wait until the at least primary fermentation is done (or I suppose the krausen has dissipated), but I'm concerned that combining them too early will just let the WLP655 take over. Is that a valid concern? Should I wait a few months before combining the brews, giving the dregs some time to get a good foothold?

As per usual I probably just need to RAHAHB.

I would just rack them into the bulk secondary after primary was finished, somewhere between 2-4 weeks anyway. I would want there to be bugs still in suspension from that carboy. The bugs are gonna consume what is available, regardless. Your hot side procedures will be a factor in this as well (mash temp, grain bill).

I pretty much do this exact same thing in a Sanke Keg that I will Solera. So far so good on that project. I would add some more dregs when you rack.

O2 exposure should be your biggest concern moving forward, that is a much bigger issue then what you are dealing with now.

Good luck! Sounds like a terrific beer in the works!!!

O2 exposure should be your biggest concern moving forward, that is a much bigger issue then what you are dealing with now.

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. I was thinking maybe I'd add some maltodextrine to get the buggies some extra food and have a mini second fermentation to purge the carboy of oxygen.

Back