Building up RO water for Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
What should the target mash pH be? What about ideal ppm levels and ratios for the various minerals? I have lactic acid, gypsum, calcium chloride, and baking soda to play with.

Planned recipe:

5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 30.0 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.0 %

Target 40-50ppm Calcium coming from a mix of Calcium chloride and gypsum. My last wit (JZ's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles) was by far my best effort (but if brewing again would cut the coriander in half) which had a 5.3 mash pH. You'll need acid or acid malt to get there.

Target 40-50ppm Calcium coming from a mix of Calcium chloride and gypsum. My last wit (JZ's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles) was by far my best effort (but if brewing again would cut the coriander in half) which had a 5.3 mash pH. You'll need acid or acid malt to get there.
I was planning to use .35oz of coriander. Is that too much?

Jamil's recipe has 0.4oz, which I found too much. BUT, it depends a lot on how fresh it is (mine was really fresh and aromatic). 0.4oz was quite dominant for the first few months - it took time to mellow. I'll use 0.2oz next time.

One really important thing with coriander.......There are two types (maybe more). The most common one that I see in shops is soccer ball shaped, the Indian stuff (I buy it at an Indian grocer) is gridiron ball shaped. The Indian stuff tastes way better in witbier - it gives the classic lemony Hoegaarden taste. The soccer ball stuff tastes sort of hammy.

Also with the orange, the JZ recipe has 1.5oz of fresh orange zest instead of dried bitter orange peel. This gave a really fresh orange aroma and flavour that I don't get from bitter orange peel. Again, I found the amount too much. Next time I'll try 1oz.

Wow, thanks for all the info! The recipe I was planning to use asks for .18oz each of sweet and bitter orange peel.

What would you mash this at? Typical 152F?

One really important thing with coriander.......There are two types (maybe more). The most common one that I see in shops is soccer ball shaped, the Indian stuff (I buy it at an Indian grocer) is gridiron ball shaped. The Indian stuff tastes way better in witbier - it gives the classic lemony Hoegaarden taste. The soccer ball stuff tastes sort of hammy.

I've tried both types in Wit and find that I don't need the lemony aspect in my Wits since my orange peel provides all I want. I find that the wrinkly, Moraccan coriander adds a black pepper note that I prefer. The black pepper melds well with the citrus notes.

Does this look good??? What do you recommend for sulfate and chlorine concentrations? I should probably lower the sulfate levels to match chloride to make it more balanced?

upload_2018-10-26_0-27-36.png

Last edited:
Back