Building my first all grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

310brew

Reaction score
This is actually a process in the works, but here is what I have so far. This is all coming from craigslist or friends to build it on the cheap cheaps.

Parts:
1 x 7.5gal SS boil kettle ($30 crraigslist)
1 x 30qt Aluminum kettle for Sparge water (free)
1 x 48qt Igloo Cooler for Mash Tun ($20 craigslist)
Copper Tubing, Fittings and Ball Valves (Less than $25 at Home Depot)
Copper Tubing to make IC (Less than $15 at Home Depot)
1 x coil of silver solder (less than $10)
1 x 45,000 BTU Propane Burner ($38 online)
1 x metal bed frame

My goal is to take an arc welder and hack up the bedframe into the parts I need to weld together a structure to hold my gravity fed design. (I saw this on youtube) I will attach ball valves to each of the brew kettles and stack them in a way that gravity will do most of the hard work.

tier1 is the HLT which will drain into a manifold designed to evenly and gently apply sparge water ontop of my grain bed in the MT. The MT will be on tier2 and will drain from its ball valve into the boil kettle which will actually be sharing the burner I used to heat the HLT via some sort of slot to house the burner which I will remove from the legs welded onto it. (if this makes sense) Worst case scenario I add another burner to the setup if it is too much of a hassle to try and just use one.

Ideally I want to add a pump to the system to recirculate the mash, but I don't think I want to wait any longer than I am already waiting to brew some all grain beer.

When I get a more complete parts list and pictures I will repost here :)

YAY!

Above is the link on youtube to build a brew stand out of a used bed frame. I will be pretty much copying what they did.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL When I went to pick up the brew kettle it was 60QT! 15gal SS made in the USA for $30.. not bad, eh?

Ha, that is cool!! And to think I just drive by all of those frames in the trash... How sturdy is it when the HLT is full and grains are mashing?

Ha, that is cool!! And to think I just drive by all of those frames in the trash... How sturdy is it when the HLT is full and grains are mashing?

Well, I mean the bedframe is made of steel so it should hold up pretty well s long as I measure correctly and make sure the welds are nicely beaded. The steel itself is strong enough to hold a mattress and at least 2 people (maybe more if you are into that kind of thing) so it should be able to hold 10 gallons of water.

Before I actually turn on any flames or put actual ingredients in I will test with plain water, stir it up and see how it feels.

I'll be updating this post with pics as I go, but I am pretty much tapped out till next paycheck. Too many birthdays and I just got back from Stone Brewery in Escondido which I spent a lot of $$ at. Totally worth it..

I understand Stone makes some pretty potent stuff. But 3 months is plenty of time to recover and build this thing. How did it go?

It's been a whirlwind year and I moved from SoCal to Portland, OR. I just did my first AG batch, but not on this setup. I think having a homebrew gravity or pump fed system is in my future, but I have some spatial constraints at the new place and so it doesnt look like I will have this going anytime soon.

I understand Stone makes some pretty potent stuff. But 3 months is plenty of time to recover and build this thing. How did it go?

Latest posts

Back