Building a brew room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 121283

Reaction score
We're working on upgrading our brewing rig which will run off of natural gas. Right now the plan is to build a rig that will be stored in my garage. I can't dedicated my garage to just brewing so I'm worried the brewing equipment will get saw dust, dirt, etc... on it. I guess I could put a cover everything... I had an idea this morning that it would be awesome to be able to brew indoors and I have an office/bedroom that isn't really being used for anything other than storage.

What kind of ventilation do you need for running natural gas burners?

I have laminate flooring down right now in the room that would be dedicated to brewing, any thoughts on needing to seal it up before hand?

A couple things you should consider if you are going to be using an office or bedroom that isnt being used.

1. Is it on the 1st or 2nd floor or basement? I would never brew in a second floor as I would be super worried about a major catastrophe with spilling wort and or water.

2. Ventilation. For Natural Gas, you better have a really good high CFM ventilation fan to take out the steam and smell as well as the Carbon Monoxide produced from burning. Additionally, you would most likely need to pipe in make-up air. Take a look at how Kal did his on www.theelectricbrewery.com

3. Access to a water source and waste line. Very helpful to have both near by so you don't have to truck water and waste to and from the brewing area.

4. Flooring. Laminate is fine, but it is still going to be porous and water/wort will get down inbetween the cracks... I'm happier with either tile or bare concrete.

I had a feeling it was going to be more work than I really wanted to do to convert that room into a home brewery.

Latest posts

Back