Building a bar. Few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1EightT

Reaction score
I'm building a decent size bar in our new home and had a few questions. We have a 13 foot long section that I will be framing off as a wine room. It should come out to about 13X5 when done. The upper portion of the walls will be glass so you can see in. In front of that will be a walking area (for the bartender) with the actual bar itself in front of that. When facing the bar head on, there is an under stair storage area to the far right where I would like to place a fridge for my kegs.

So my question I guess becomes:

What is the optimal length or distance from the fridge/kegs to the taps on the bar? Anything else I should look at or avoid if possible?

10ft is popular, but the biggest concern is are your beer lines going to be refrigerated? Theres a thread on 'For all you guys with 10ft hoses' (too lazy too look and at friends house on phone) that has link to a calculator. If you insulate your lines it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Be sure to post your setup ! ( show us your kegorator, again too lazy at the moment... posting on even windows mobile devices sucks).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/all-guys-long-hoses-83733/
Here it is

Also, Cape Brewing has a cool setup where he has a free-standing walk in cooler "box" in the other room... about 15' between the kegs and the taps in the bar. He runs a (looks like 2"?) PVC pipe between the cooler and the other room to contain the beer lines, and to keep them cool. Here's a link to the thread it came up in (post #12, scroll down):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/window-c-fermentation-chamber-81561/
7865d1222364266-window-c-fermentation-chamber-cooler.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think Cape has a thread dedicated to how he set it up. DAMN YOU CAAAAAPE!!!! ;)
But do ya see the PVC down there? That's where the keg lines are.

Thanks guys that gives me several ideas. I hadn't even thought about the lines themselves needing refrigeration. Now i'm rethinking the layout a bit, but for the better.

To put the above picture in perspective, HERE is his bar. The PVC pipes you are looking at above, are behind the wall with the chalkboard in the photo below.

Cape_Tap_box_2.jpg

Back