building a 10 gallon cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I here some people put a stainless spring in it
Mine went flat. I think it was because they kept the braid flat and rolled up for shipping

You don't need a spring, unless you order one and it comes rolled up :D

If you make one out of the ss braid from a home improvement store it will stand up. As long as you don't go and flatten it yourself. A ss spring couldn't hurt though.

Here's my PEX manifold. Works great

2013-01-26_13-00-43_381.jpg

Here's my PEX manifold. Works great

2013-01-26_13-00-43_381.jpg

Looks awesome, how much dead space do you have? How did you put holes in the pex? Are all of the holes on the bottom? I don't see any in the picture.

I will be getting a 10 gallon tun here in the near future and will possibly use this method for my manifold.

Looks awesome, how much dead space do you have? How did you put holes in the pex? Are all of the holes on the bottom? I don't see any in the picture.

I will be getting a 10 gallon tun here in the near future and will possibly use this method for my manifold.

I used a 1/16 drill bit and drilled holes on the bottom. Not much dead space at all, I haven't actually measured the exact amount though. Here's my thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/recent-diy-projects-s-s-mash-paddle-pex-manifold-384774/

First all grain batch came out awesome !! never looking back

Nice! So how long was brew day? My first one was about 6+hrs! Getting it down now.. I'm looking into a bucket heater with a temp controller to preheat my tun and strike water. This way I can premeasure my strike water and just drop the bucket heater in a few hours ahead of time and let it go. When I get around to brewing, i can just dump my crushed grains in and start my mash timer.

oh man it was almost 8 hours bc of the problems with the hose braid, and it took over a hour on my gas stove to get 6 gallons boiling.
going to order a bayou sq14 burner soon, to take brewing outside this summer. or i might try splitting the batch between two pots next time.

I have an outdoor propane setup but I'm starting to take a closer look at electric brewing. The stove will take forever.. I've been down that route..

I use a $7 braid with a 3/8 plug in the "crimped" end to keep it down. I also ran a piece of tubing with holes drilled in it up inside the braid. I fly sparge with no problems. I have done grain bills as big as 18lbs in my 10gal cooler. Last mash came out at 86% efficiency. Couldnt be happier with anything else.

I have an outdoor propane setup but I'm starting to take a closer look at electric brewing. The stove will take forever.. I've been down that route..

Let me second the bucket heater/heat stick suggestion. I use an electric range (2 eyes) plus the heat stick, and can get a 7 gal wort from mash temps to boiling in under 20 minutes if I cover the pot. Just watch for boilovers whenever covering heating wort!

-Rich

Change of plans, austin hombrew had free shipping over the weekend , so I ordered a 12" false bottom with my next all grain batch

Latest posts

Back