Build Blog: Single Tier, 2 pump, BCS-460, RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Building the single tier stand

IMG_9340_zps49fd3f33.jpg

Pregame beverages.

IMG_9373_zps01c99176.jpg

1-1/2 x 1-1/2" 14 gauge steel tubing sourced locally from Discount Steel for the main structure. 1/2 x 1/2" tubing to support the shelves and top.

IMG_9462_zpse3c3e418.jpg

Burning leg hair cutting up the tubing.

IMG_9385_zps08b61fae.jpg

Prepping the metal for welding.

IMG_9439_zpsfc7400f3.jpg

Magnets are they really miracles (hopefully most of you don't get the reference).

IMG_9517_zpsdb3bb064.jpg

Getting ready to go into the mask. Game face.

IMG_9449_zps3bb241dd.jpg

Welder money shot.

Roll those beautiful sparks photos:
IMG_9572_zps933cc548.jpg

IMG_9595_zpsae3b8f33.jpg

IMG_9526_zps4cd5e4e1.jpg

IMG_9511_zpseb4430c5.jpg

IMG_9497_zpsee3fa8de.jpg

Got the guys together to work on the brew stand again. We completed about 95 percent of the welding. Still need to weld in a mount for the RIMS tube but that is about it.

Also got to work on knocking out the holes for the control panel. Good ole harbor freight tools making it a tedious job.

02brewstand01jpg_zpsff388b57.jpg

02brewstand02_zps16309fa8.jpg

Also spent some time working on a shelf for the pumps. Decided against going with an actual pump cover due to the fact that our top shelf will be completely covered and fairly wide so anything that were to spill over the edge would fall outside the area of the pumps.

Two pumps mounted with room for a third if we ever go that route.

02brewstand03_zps75719db8.jpg

02brewstand04_zps64d73c53.jpg

Hopefully get some time to start laying down some primer next.

The top is cut to fit and the first coat of poly applied. Looks sharp!

bench_top_zpsb2422af5.jpg

sub'd. I recently picked up a welder and may need to add something like this to my list of things to do.

Starting the slow process of putting the control panel together. I have realized I have no idea what I'm doing so I brought in some help. Unfortunately that help leaves the state in a few days so I'm back to scratching my head :D

wiring_zps6bcbd6fb.jpg

Welded the final piece of the frame. The stand is standing on end so kind of odd but the metal piece will hold my rims tube.

rims_mount_zps65c07805.jpg

I fitted together a water manifold. Quick disconnect from the hose to the stand and all my water needs will be taken care of.

water_manifold_zpsfe68dbaf.jpg

I had some scrap wood left over from the bench top so I made some nice little hop trays.

I'm going to mount some chalkboard or whiteboard type surface on the front of each shelf. That way I can have my hops measured out ahead of time and organized by time for each hop addition.

I made two trays so that should work out nicely if I'm using pellet hops which I primarily use.

hop_tray_zpsd3b421dd.jpg

Long time no update. Long time no homebrew! That said I've finished up work on my stand, my kettles are done at the welder. Now just to sit down and figure out the wiring on the control panel.

brewstand02_zps1e9cf157.jpg

Funny to think that this really is just a glorified table but I've had a lot of fun making it.

brewstand01_zpsc7a5fa8d.jpg

brewstand04_zps16539e39.jpg

That is what a thousand bottle caps look like.

brewstand06_zps2e94ef04.jpg

Water manifold. Hook the hose up with a Q/D and you are set for brew day.

brewstand03_zps7c934592.jpg

Water outlet. I've added two, one is for running the plate chiller or for cleaning, the other will be for filling the HLT.

brewstand08_zpsb7163c60.jpg

Chugger pumps with stainless heads courtesy of Brew Hardware. They've become my goto place for homebrew supplies. At some point I'd like to see about drilling a couple of holes and hiding the power cables.

brewstand07_zps557050db.jpg

Butcher block top. I picked up some big wide cork place matts from Ikea. If I find that my kettles get too hot I'll use them.

brewstand05_zps213ddc21.jpg

Always wanted to make a mount for the Shirron plate chiller. Also switched it all to quick disconnects.

brewstand09_zps4d4938de.jpg

Brew Hardware RIMS tube.

I don't know what half that stuff does, but I R i luvz. I really like the bottle cap bottom too. Did you mention how you ddi that anywhere?

My only concern would be the Chugger pumps. I have a March and a Chugger and recirculate my mash through a counterflow heat exchanger (chiller). I had to switch the orientation of the pumps after the Chugger failed to run after the mash recirc and then the transfer through the chiller after the boil. It seems the chugger is almost worthless for extended run times. If I had known how lame the Chuggers are I would have bought a second March. A real PITA when you got to switch connections mid batch...

I don't know what half that stuff does, but I R i luvz. I really like the bottle cap bottom too. Did you mention how you ddi that anywhere?

I'll tell you how I did it and maybe you can learn from my mistakes :D

The bottle cap shelf is about five years of me drinking beer and saving caps :p Once you've accomplished the fun part your next task is head to your local menards/home dept/lowes and pick out a board, some stain and a two part clear resin epoxy. I found it by the stains, look for like crystal clear table top casting epoxy. You'll know it when you see it.

Once you have your board cut to size and stained the color of your choice you'll need to get some wax paper and cardboard. Using the wax paper and cardboard create a raised side that goes all around the board. I used some staples to hold the cardboard in place. Make sure you make a good seal as this will keep the resin from just dripping off the side of the board.

The next step there has to be a better way and caused me the most issues. I started by filling the backside of each bottle cap with wood glue but after exhausting two bottles of glue and hardly making a dent I just decided to give up, that wasn't a smart decision on my part. The idea behind that is to fill the gap making no space for air to get trapped when you pour the epoxy.

Up next I laid down a heavy base coat of the epoxy to coat the board and then laid down my caps. Doing this allows the caps to "glue" themselves to the board. If they aren't stuck down they'll float up to the top when you cover them fully in epoxy.

Okay once that base coat is dry and you're sure the caps are stuck on the board mix up a big ole mess of epoxy. This job took me one gallon of the stuff. Pour the epoxy onto your board and you can use a piece of carboard to help move it around.

As it starts to cure you'll want a strong hair dryer or a heat gun on hand to assist in getting the bubbles to come up to the surface. Take warning from me. Now is not the time to go tuck your kids into bed only to get caught in a child meltdown upon which returning to the garage see that your epoxy is setting up a lot faster than you thought and you have bubbles that no longer can be pushed out using heat. :( Fortunately for me that section of the shelf is hidden under my pumps so it isn't the end of the world but after the amount of time I'd spent on this it was a bit of a bummer.

Keep it out of dust and let it cure overnight and bam you've got a cool, crystal clear, shelf that is smooth (minus my bubbles) as glass.

I think I enjoyed the non-phone photography as much as the build! That's gotta be the most perpendicular rig shot I've ever seen. Did you really use a tilt-shift lens to shoot that front portrait??? Love the color too.
:ban:

My only concern would be the Chugger pumps. I have a March and a Chugger and recirculate my mash through a counterflow heat exchanger (chiller). I had to switch the orientation of the pumps after the Chugger failed to run after the mash recirc and then the transfer through the chiller after the boil. It seems the chugger is almost worthless for extended run times. If I had known how lame the Chuggers are I would have bought a second March. A real PITA when you got to switch connections mid batch...

I may have to find out the hard way. My last pump was a March and I was lured by the siren song of a stainless head for the same price as a plastic one from March.

Fingers crossed I have better success!

I think I enjoyed the non-phone photography as much as the build! That's gotta be the most perpendicular rig shot I've ever seen. Did you really use a tilt-shift lens to shoot that front portrait??? Love the color too.
:ban:

Hah! That's my good ole Canon 50mm f1.8! I picked the color as it reminded me of Ford Pick-ups from back in the 50s. I've also got a 1950's Philco refrigerator I use for fermentation along with my control panel box that I'm going to paint to match.

I may have to find out the hard way. My last pump was a March and I was lured by the siren song of a stainless head for the same price as a plastic one from March.

Fingers crossed I have better success!

I have the same chugger and use them on my direct fire RIMS, did bunch of 90 mins mash with the pump running all the time with no issue...

Pictures of my control panel. It is housed in a Schneider Electric 16X16X8 NEMA 4 rated enclosure. I painted it to match my stand, figured it would be a nice touch. The majority of the parts were sourced from Ebrewsupply.com and the protective handles were purchased off Amazon.

control_panel01_zpsbf2141ae.jpg

control_panel04_zps32f3427d.jpg

control_panel03_zps18210fd5.jpg

control_panel02_zps5b9628c8.jpg

Keeping with my color scheme I finished up the old refrigerator I've been working on as my fermentation chamber.

It is a 1950's Philco I picked up on craigslist for a hundred bucks. A little sanding, a little bondo and a lot of scrubbing and it turned out nicely.

I also built a wooden stand to raise it up a few feet to make draining the fermenter easier as well is disguise the back of the fridge. Not that it looks any worse than the rest of my garage :)

fermentation01_zps28c51b6e.jpg

Pictured above is my Stout conical. Just place my order for a 14 gallon SS brewtech chronical fermenter today. Looking forward to the small upgrade in quality.

fermentation03_zpsfdc5ffb9.jpg

fermentation04_zpscd644772.jpg

fermentation05_zps0cf3ad93.jpg

fermentation06_zps514dbe86.jpg

fermentation02_zpsec2c3f2b.jpg

Back