Bugs keep munching tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
My tallest Centennial that I just trained to the twine today just got the tip ate off. Seeing this happen with about half of all my plants. I know it's going to produce another shoot in another direction but damn, it WAS growing fast. I'm not seeing a whole lot of bugs but we do have some ants...

This idea of letting nature have its share is starting to not work anymore...thoughts?

I'm getting some sevin spray. I used the powder and it caked up too much for me. So I'm getting the spray next. I have a few insect issues on other plants too.

I'm probably gonna make or buy some insecticidal soap. Wonder how bad losing the tip will hurt my vertical growth...oh well.

Time for one of the Sam Adams Longshot beers I think...

I didn't see bugs either during the day. I went out a looked one night after a few days of heavy rain and there were small snails all over my plants just munching away. I was surprised how high they could climb. Mine started at the bottom though.

I used an insecticidal soap yesterday on all my plants and have noticed less bug activity. Happy this is a safe way and it seems to be working...

I'm a first year grower but found quite a few bugs on my plants. I tried organocide which worked for most but caused some yellowing of the leaves in the places where it went on thicker. That stuff likes to separate from water. It did not take care of catapillars so I tried a new chemical. I got this stuff called Captain Jacks dead bug brew. It's organic and comes from the bacteria called spinosad. I put it down a week ago and I have yet to see anything since.

Tim

I'm pretty sure I have predatory mites all over my basil plants, but from what I gather those are the good bugs. Has anyone ever dealt with these before? I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer them to my hop plants or other vegetable plants to take care of some bad bugs.

Back