Budget Brew Stand Ideas - Anyone thought of these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So my tax return money will be on it's here soon. My big project with this money is to get a brutus 10 style brew stand going.

Of course I am bouncing around on how exactly to do it. Buy a pre-made stand? Do a DIY stand? Even went to the local metal supply fabricating shop and got quotes on getting materials and then having a friend weld it up. Having the shop fabricate the whole thing. I have even considered the weldless brewstand as an option.

Limitations to my options, I can't weld, not sure on my friends welding skills. Money, not sure yet how much I will have to work with. Also space, storing a single tier brutus 10 system is going to be a pita. No basement, but I have a couple of outbuildings, but security wise I fear someone stealing it. Perhaps that's unfounded but still a worry.

All my limitations can be overcome. Just a lot of decisions to be made. Kegs or pots? Shiny kegs and pots or not? 2 pumps or one? Nice control panel or simple on off switches and light burners by hand? RIMS or HERMS? False bottom or blah blah blah blah...... my head spins sometimes considering everything.

So today I was searching up info and I came accross some of these dual and 3 burner racks, obviously not made as brew stands BUT wondering if they could be used as such?????

Anyone else thought of using or are using these?

My thoughts are might be a good option if money is an issue, which may be likely. The double burner ones looks stout enough to support the weight and ones description actually claims to fit up to two 60 qt pots. Perhaps the 3 burner ones are able to support the weight as well as is but probably would need some reinforcement. Plus side is cost and storage-ability. Bonus I do a lot of camping so would make a sweet camp stove as well.

Thinking that using a two burner stand with HLT and Brew Kettle on the burners, HERMS in the HLT and Mash Tun on the ground. A pump or two in a tool box would be a budget sytem that would also not use a lot of space.

One big question is BTU's? what's typically needed to get 10 gallons of water boiling at a pretty reasonable time?

Thoughts, ideas and comments would be very, very appreciated.

Links:

Bayou Classic Dual Burner Outdoor Patio Stove | Overstock.com

Bayou Classic Universal Replacement 3-Burner Outdoor Patio Stove (TB650) from The Home Depot

25 in. H 54,000 BTU Heavy Duty Portable Propane Triple Burner Outdoor Cooker-CS42 at The Home Depot

14 in. Double-Burner High-Pressure Cooker with Extension Legs-DB250 at The Home Depot

Pics:

1cb0654f-060e-4685-988b-a5975fc227df_300.jpg

6cc3ee1b-8e20-458b-ad77-1c13862a0ea6_300.jpg

e37b076c-7f54-44e6-909c-baa0560a0451_300.jpg

P13822974.jpg

If you do a Brutus, and worried about theft, have whoever does the welding weld on a couple heavy duty i-bolts. Then in your shed, garage, whatever, get a decent hole drilled and cleaned out (maybe 6x6x6 inches) pour a little concrete and stick an i-bolt in. Let it set. Then put a heavy duty chain and lock or bike lock. Perfect? No. But chances are, it'll deter people who are just looking to get in and out in a timely manner

We are starting production on our new line of stands BadAss2 in 2 weeks. They have the same sturdy construction and basic features of our standard single tier stand. Only, they break down for shipping to save you a bundle. The price range will be in the $700 - $800 range.
Photos as soon as parts arrive.
Note: we are giving one away during the upcoming annual HomeBrewTalk Giveaway.

$700 - $800 is a great price if that is shipped but if it's another $100 to ship it then......... not as much :(

We are starting production on our new line of stands BadAss2 in 2 weeks. They have the same sturdy construction and basic features of our standard single tier stand. Only, they break down for shipping to save you a bundle. The price range will be in the $700 - $800 range.
Photos as soon as parts arrive.
Note: we are giving one away during the upcoming annual HomeBrewTalk Giveaway.

I just bought a 24x72" stainless steel table with a SS shelf for $217 with shipping on eBay.

I am going to cut holes for my burners in it and use it for a brewstand.

I'll post up how it works out.

At over $200 it isn't cheap, but then again neither is buying steel and getting it welded.

You could also get a couple bed frames and either weld them or bolt them. They're not too beefy, or heavy when constructed, but they'll hold the weight. Nothing you put on will be as heavy as 2 people

LOL great minds think a like I thought of this same thing, my worry was if the table was strong enough to hold the vessels and 10 + gallons of water once you cut the holes.

I just bought a 24x72" stainless steel table with a SS shelf for $217 with shipping on eBay.

I am going to cut holes for my burners in it and use it for a brewstand.

I'll post up how it works out.

At over $200 it isn't cheap, but then again neither is buying steel and getting it welded.

Hopefully I have worked out a deal on a complete SS stand with burners and plumbing for a pretty reasonable cost. I will post up a review and details if everything works out ;)

$700 - $800 is a great price if that is shipped but if it's another $100 to ship it then......... not as much :(

We are trying to get the price as low as possible.
Remember: We have to make money to stay in business.
The price is comparable to the Top Tier is a single tier, has a gas manifold and 4 large wheels.

There is one other company offering a single tier stand for less, however, they have a habit of never shipping what you paid for.

Hopefully I have worked out a deal on a complete SS stand with burners and plumbing for a pretty reasonable cost. I will post up a review and details if everything works out ;)

Would you care to share who your builder is?
I ask because the builder may have reviews on this site for you to read.

LOL great minds think a like I thought of this same thing, my worry was if the table was strong enough to hold the vessels and 10 + gallons of water once you cut the holes.

It will be after I brace it a bit. Stay tuned.

My inspiration for it was this.

photo%25255B1%25255D.jpg

P1010747.JPG

My table should be similar.

There is a discussion of it (a hijack really...) here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/index158.html

There are 2 other SS tables with burners built into them that I know of. I like all of them.

One thing I dislike about conventional tubing brewstands is the lack of "shelf" storage space, both while brewing and when they are in storage.

If I wasn't going with 3 vessels, I would have opted for this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESTAURANT-...478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588df8bbae Its based on a commonly available storage rack system and its easy to get more shelves for it. However, its a bit short for 3 vessels, or at least I think it is.

FWIW, I am a good welder and could have put together just about anything I pleased. And I built (and sold) one brewstand prior to my upcoming build.

See I thought about the table but I am not a welder so I was trying to think of a way to brace it.

I love the electric brewery setup, if money wasn't an option I would definitely go that route. But I can't afford the components plus I am a renter and I am renting an old house by a lake and I don't the the entire houses wiring equals whats needed lol

It will be after I brace it a bit. Stay tuned.

My inspiration for it was this.

photo%25255B1%25255D.jpg

P1010747.JPG

My table should be similar.

There is a discussion of it (a hijack really...) here.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/show-us-your-sculpture-brew-rig-46578/index158.html

There are 2 other SS tables with burners built into them that I know of. I like all of them.

One thing I dislike about conventional tubing brewstands is the lack of "shelf" storage space, both while brewing and when they are in storage.

If I wasn't going with 3 vessels, I would have opted for this.
RESTAURANT STAINLESS STEEL KITCHEN WORK PREP TABLE NSF | eBay Its based on a commonly available storage rack system and its easy to get more shelves for it. However, its a bit short for 3 vessels, or at least I think it is.

FWIW, I am a good welder and could have put together just about anything I pleased. And I built (and sold) one brewstand prior to my upcoming build.

Back